is it me or does everyone (wants to) to play guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 23, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    it kinda amazing the amount of people you see at my school carrying cheap strat copies. its kinda weird to see that everyone seems to want to play guitar and not bass. but then again it does mean that if i want to be a pro bassist i am more likely to get a job.

Is this observation just me and my weird school or has anyone else noticed it?

i think we have about 10-15 bassist in our school (maybe less)

and definatly over 30 guitarists.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Because playing "Wish You Were Here" on guitar will get you into a prospective significant other's "good graces". Classical thump, not so much.

On a scale from A to 7 with black being a perfect score, guitar is clearly elephant. Bass on the other hand, horseshoe. Ya dig.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

10-15 bassists at your school??? In my high school with a class of 700-800 I can think of 3 bassists including myself. Everyone else that played something played guitar, with the exception of about 4 drummers.
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

um...if you wanted to say you disagree with me or agree with me i think you could have used a better method.

If you wanted to baffle me then you have succeded! 10 marks out of A!:D
  5. Around here there are a ton of guitarists. Good bass players are hard to come by. The band I'm with right now is going on tour this summer and are in need of a permanent bass player. They've been continually auditioning bass players while I've been filling in by writing bass lines, playing gigs and recording with them. It has been exceedingly difficult to even get responses to ads and when we do they are typically not very good players. It's not like we're looking for a superstar here, just someone to hold down the rhythm with the drums for some hard rock. My feeling is that there just aren't too many bass players in the area.
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    heh, im beating a mod to it!

is it me or does everyone want to post threads in the wrong forum!

I'll be leaving now.
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

our school of roghly 1,000;

Bass: 2 maybe 3 decent, 3-6 goofs

Guitar : 6 decent, 12 goofs, untold number of hacks

Keys: 2 decent, 4 goofs

Drums: 4 decent, 4 so-so, 4 hacks
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    how do you separate goof from hack?
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From here, I would say it is you. :D

The first time I took my son into a music store, he went straight for the drums. He's been playing drums for six years now.

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

It is a guess at best:

A Goof can and does function well on most stuff (has some basics down) but just doesn't care much or for very long.

a Hack, can't (or doesn't) get it and can't get it done on any level.

By the time I was a senior all of the "stars" were gone.
    We did have some ultra geniouse A/V guys, and a spizillion harp players or at least it sounded like it.

My youngest son tells me his school (850 students)has seven bands including an all girl band. I have hear three of them (including the all girl band), not my music, but they were tight and one was extra good. They all have a tendancy to blow gear, mainly FOH speakers and one band cooks the Lead Guitar speakers every other gig.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Accordian was king at my school.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    More alarming is that every guitar player plays bass too! :oops:
  13. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Here, and where I went to high school, tons of people played bass. Just ask them, and they'd butcher,"Smoke on the Water" 50 different ways. Then they'd butcher "Iron Man" on someone's guitar, and talk about the band used to be in.
  14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Dude, don't you know: ANYBODY can play bass!:bag:
  15. Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    My uncle is in the rock and roll hall of fame, been in the music business for nearly 40 yrs and when I first decided to pick up an instrument he said "learn to play bass. If you're decent at it, you'll always find work".

Even though I eventually picked up guitar as well, that was the best advice I've ever received. Place an ad in the local paper and have mulitple musicians you can choose to work with. Besides, once you get the funk in you, you can't get it out...nothing more fun than bass guitar IMO.
  16. In a class of about 300, there's about 4-5 bassists, infinite number of guitars (atleast 40 know how to play), and about 4 drummers. Surprisingly, the drummers and bassists aren't in any high demand.
  17. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How about THE Accordion King:

18. Let's see.....

I can think of about 3 other bassists in my school that are decent, a good few whom I don't think are very good, and about probably 10 good guitarists.....

Drummers are the hardest to come by, only about 3 good ones in the school, and a few that are just barely decent.

My challenge has been finding drummers. I tend to think that they are much harder to find than a good bassist.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

False alarm.

Turns out it is you.