1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it me, or is it much harder to find a band than it was 10-15 years ago?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by detracti, Mar 23, 2019.

1. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    :)

I've auditioned a few times, but nothing doing yet. Seems like it was so much easier to find a gig before.

'sok, I'll just keep regular practice at home, and be patient. Maybe because there are more of us out there? Or maybe it is just being older now? Don't know.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Depends on your location id imagine. I turn down gigs often. Lots of activity in my area

Ekulati, detracti and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. I think it's harder to find gigs with a band or with a group of musicians who have their $hit together enough to work with and actually do anything and get anywhere than it used to be. Takes a lot of time and effort and compromise (on all sides), and at the same time be professional enough to know how to operate at a high level AS A GROUP. Partially due to fewer venues available to start out in, pay your dues in, learn the craft etc IMO.

Make sure your chops are up to snuff, conduct yourself in a professional manner, make sure you're able to keep your ego out of the equation, add value where you can (learn to at least sing backups and harmonies etc) and keep plugging away. There's less opportunity than there used to be IMO so doing the things that set you apart from the average (even if your ability is average) plus patience and perseverance will eventually win the day.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Age may be a factor for some bands.

squeakyd, 12BitSlab, JRA and 11 others like this.
  5. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I try to qualify that up front. Still that may be part of it. But the vibe I'm getting is more like @EdO. described.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Hard to find a band? No. Hard to find a good band? Yes. Keep looking. Don’t settle. Start your own if you have to.

Jimmy4string, JRA, Dabndug and 14 others like this.
  7. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Amen to that!!!

Bodeanly likes this.
  8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I recently went through something similar after quitting one of the cover bands, thinking I’d easily find another. There’s a lot of crap out there. Lots of egos. Lots of kids who think you gotta go deaf or go home. Lots of startups. But I practiced my ass off in the meantime, discovered music I’d never thought to play before, then an opportunity fell into my lap. Patience.

9. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Yeah, I probably just need to keep practicing, keep hitting the open mics and be patient.

I'm so hungry to be out on stage again. My last good band broke up at the end of 08. Had some fits and starts... amid divorce in '10. And collected dust til last Fall.

LBS-bass, JaseyT and Bodeanly like this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Jams, love’em or hate’em, are good places to find potential band mates. It’s a place to hear others play and to get to know them before you even broach the subject about doing something together.

11. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I spent a whole lot of time searching for the perfect band, and let a lot of gigs pass by because things weren't exactly what I was looking for. In the end, a gig came up that was close to what I was looking for, and has the opportunity for me to help mold it into more like what I'm looking for.

Age is definitely part of it. At 41, with a career, a house, a family, and car payments, I can no longer drop everything and sleep in a van for two months. I've always been up front with that in responses to Craigslist postings, and the honesty helps.

deernaes, Artman, ERIC31 and 3 others like this.
  12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Maybe you're a better musician than you were 10 years a go, and the number of qualified bands you can play with is diminished for your standards.

JRA, dbsfgyd1, Jeff Elkins and 12 others like this.
  13. Sgt007

Sgt007

Oct 4, 2007
    +1 on Mylowfreq's thought. We all strive to get better, and as we do, our standards automatically go up wether we actually realize it or not. And a lot of musicians that could actually get better, don't because they don't put the time in to get there. So yeah, you have probably gotten better, more seasoned and precise, and the level you were once at is a complete turn off now.

14. Based on advanced students feedback it's not harder or easier.

detracti likes this.
  15. Sgt007

Sgt007

Oct 4, 2007
    The problem is you really want to play haha. Pretty much have 3 options, jump in and start playing with what's out there (you can look at it as raising up the other members - or maybe helping them understand what it takes to actually be professional enough to focus), or wait to find something up to par (which could be years, after we get that higher level)...OR start from scratch and lay it out like you want.

five7 and detracti like this.
  16. For me it wasn't hard at all, I'm 65 and retired from the 9-5 rat race. Last year, after my band of 15 years broke up I auditioned for another band and got the spot. Our chemistry is great and we are now gigging regularly. I think it's a matter of being ready and in the right place at the right time.

JRA, B-Mac, Bunk McNulty and 5 others like this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Is it me, or is it much harder to find a band than it was 10-15 years ago?
    Yes, and because of that, Yes.
    You are 10-15 years older.
    That makes a difference.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    squeakyd, Remyd and IamGroot like this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I find it hard to find people to just jam with. I run an ad looking for old guys like myself to jam with and all I get are bands looking for a bass player to go out and immediately do gigs. I'm not looking for that at this time, so turn down a lot of offers. Bass players looking to be in a band seem to be hard to find here.

GreyMark and Artman like this.
  19. Over here in my part of the UK, it's a million times harder than it was.

My long standing band finished last year. Since then, one practice with one band. Nothing else decent out there....just late teens starting out.

It's a mixture of demographics, venues closing, musical changes.....10 years ago, you could leave a band after breakfast and be in another by lunchtime!

I'm at the stage now - 45 but no commitments - when I'm about ready to sell up and do something else. No interest in repeating what I've done before to diminishing returns.

It's sad, but just what's going on. All my contemparies have vanished off the radar!

10 years from now? Doesn't bear thinking about.

20. I started playing in the band I was in 10 years ago once again in October, so beats me!