Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it me--or is this custom job lame?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I recently ordered an ash p-bass body from a custom luthier--who I'm not going to name--and I just received pix yesterday. See below. My view is that the woods are terribly matched--the rear view says it all. No way I could natural finish this. Does anyone else agree that this is a lame choice of blanks and not first quality?

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Here's the other pic. (Sorry--I can't figure how to insert the image into a post.)

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Did he know/expect that you wanted a natural finish?

4. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It wouldn't be terrible if the glue line coincided with the body's centerline. The first thing you should do, though, is talk to your builder before us. I personally wouldn't have build it that way.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cover it with a nice shoreline gold finish.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Front view isn't as bad as the back, but not good.

Overall, not the worst I've seen, but not particularly good either.

Talk to the guy. And be nice.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Maybe I'm weird...but I think it's kinda cool. Different. Not symmetrical of course, but the grain points do match up. I think this would look nice with a transparent stain finish.

Bottom line though, is that you need to be happy with it, you're the customer. Be nice, sure...but be firm. I know you don't want to name names, but it sure looks like a Warmoth to me. If that's who it is, they have a really good customer service reputation, and I'm sure they'll want you to be happy.

9. Looking at the front only, once you slap a pickguard and bridge on there a clear/trans finish might look pretty good. I agree that ultimately you as the customer should be happy with the purchase.

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I just took a peek at Warmoth's site...I no longer think that's who did this one.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

How can you tell its a Warmoth???:confused:

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You're not weird Craig (or we both are :D ) - I also quite like the effect. Unique...

Might be worth asking on the Luthier's forum if not having the join down the centre of the bass is likely to have any implications. It would also be worth carefully reviewing exactly what you asked for and what previous examples you'd seen of the supplier's work.

Wulf

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i like it... But you have to live with it, not me...

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like it. I don't think it's that bad. I've seem alot worse. But if you don't like it, it's your final decision.

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Not having the glue joint on the body centerline is not a problem. It's just unusual and ugly (IMO).

Peace, JP

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Looks perfectly fine to me. But, as it's your bass, if you've got a problem, now is the time to mention it.

17. I would not accept it.

It looks like either a mistake or someone who doesn't have high enough standards to bookmatch the wood correctly.

But, if you're into the offset look, it's your bass.

Jeff

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Like someone else said, once you put a pickguard and a bridge on there, you won't see much of the area where the two pieces meet.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think once you put a pickguard, bridge, strings, and a finish on there you'll be fine. I like it. But I would go with a transparrent green (imagine that?) or blue or even red finish. I have a Peavey Palaedium which is a three piece alder finished transparrent red,and while the grain isn't as heavy as ash (obviously), it has similar grain differences if you look closely at the body. It never bothered me.

That particular body would look nice with a sunburst IMO.

But you have to live with it. I'd talk to them, say you're dissapointed, voice your concerns.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It all depends on how you're going to finish the bass. If the grain won't be seen it shouldn't be a problem. If a pickguard is going to cover most of the center, the same applies.

OTOH if the grain is going to show through you're going to have what will look like a paint grade body with a see through finish. That's the last thing I'd do with that body.

Then again, it's entirely up to you;)