Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it me or my SVT 4 is a dissapointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Sep 29, 2004.

1. i have a svt 4, and ive really had a hard time with its output, y mean i monobridge it with a victor wooten PR1528 and i have to crank it 1/2 way, with the EQ at max. does anybody know whats going on? i mean found the gallien krueger 1001RB to be much louder, with 700 watts than my svt`s "1200". Please i would aprecciate if somebody could help me, is there something wrong with it? is it junk and i should sell it?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Make sure you are using the proper cable for bridging, the poles aren't the same as with other amps.

3. actually i have a original ampeg speakon cable, plugged from the mono bridge out put to the monobridge input in the cab with the siwtch in full range

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This worries me! Are you just cranking all the EQ knobs/sliders to maximum? If so, set them flat or thereabouts and use the pre and post gain to get enough volume.

Alex

P.S. If your bass is active, check the batteries - it's caught me out a few times!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I play one at a Rehearsal Studio (FastLane in Brokolyn NY) with an 810 & a 218 & it's LOUD!!!!!!! I was standing about a foot or 2 away from the cabs & I felt like I was gonna get knocked down.

I have noticed that the compression is aweful, IMO. I leave it fully counter clockwise or if sucks the volume right out from under my feet.

6. what the f==k tim do you like the amp or not now you confused me... what is the exact tipe of cable on the site?

the cable i have has a normal end a a speakon end, i put the speakon on the amp and the normal on the cab

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I had that amp for awhile and I really liked its tone. I thought the output was low as well and couldnt get enough volume out of it and got rid of it. I later found that there is a mod to boost the output of the preamp. For some reason the preamp section has low output to the power section. Get the mod done and it will get louder.

On a side note, if you set your eq flat, you can still boost the signal with the level control on the eq.

8. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    some amps require the speakon end to be wired differently in bridge mode than in stereo. you can do it yourself. if you unscrew the connector you will see little terminals that are numbered and marked + or -. some where on the back of your amp it should say which ones you need to connect the wires to. actually i believe it was in a previous post.

9. Not all original Ampeg speakon cables are the same. There's about 67 different ones. Here's just a few for the 4pro showing the Ampeg part #s:

10. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Mine was quiet like yours. But I found out one thing rather quickly. The "mono/stereo" button on the back is recessed into the amp's enclosure. So even though it looks depressed, try toggling it. "Mono bridged" mode is when the switch is in it's innermost position.

Otherwise, try a normal 1/4" to 1/4" hookup to your cab and see if it gets louder this way. :confused:

11. You also might want to try a speakon to speakon, becuase speakons have the ability to carry more power than 1/4". But yes you need a +1 +2 / +1 -1, becuase most speakon cables are + 1 -1/+1 -1. And make sure you label which end is +1 +2 :smug:

12. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned this amp and it has a great sound, however, my AGUILAR DB750 is much louder and cleaner at 750 watts!

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I wasn't impressed with the SVT-4 Pro's volume either. It's tone was great, though. I did a side-by-side with the 4-Pro powering an SWR Goliath SR 6-10" in mono-bridge (1200 watts) and my G-K 2000RB also in mono-bridge (1000 watts). IMHO my G-K was incredibly louder.

-Art

14. ok my cable says MONO BRIDGED right before the speakon plug, and below the mono bridged it says "+1/+2 to 1/4`T/S, the other side is a normal plug. i think its the right cable isnt it?

15. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    sounds like it

16. hey inazone can you tel me more about that mod?? sincerely i have to fix this quckly or im selling it (sure sucks i trusted those ampeg bastards lol...), (anybody interested) used ONLY once. :crying:

trade for a gallien krueger 2001RB...dont kick me lol :bag:

no, but seriously guys there has to be something i can do man i really dont wanna get rid of it

17. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Go to the ampeg website and go to the contact area. Thier phone # is in the service area and give them a call. I think its a quick mod and they can tell you what it is and where to get it done.
    When I was looking at the 4-pro it was said that if you hooked up a svp-pro preamp to the 4-pro power section, it was much louder. Ampeg service told me there is a mod to boost the gain or output of the pre in the 4-pro. Give them a call.

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I owned a GK 1001 and now have a Ampeg svt pro 4 and I’ll tell you the ampeg is defiantly louder with more head room.

19. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The SVT-4PRO ought to be really loud.......

If there is any question about mono or stereo etc, just plug a 1/4" cable from one channel to the speaker. If it seems the same as before, you probably didn't have it in mono originally, so you need to set it for mono and use the mono cable.

With the speaker in one channel only, or not in mono, you will get about 1/4 of the power that you would with the same speaker in mono bridge.

I am not clear if you are saying you have it into limiting but it is too quiet, or if you aren't getting it TO full power .... Sounds like you might not be getting it to full power.

1) be sure you don't have the input set to -15dB (lower button next to input and tuner jacks). You only need that if your bass has pretty hot output.

2) turn down the compression control, set EQ flat

3) make sure mute is off (!)

4) turn up gain until you get the peak light flashing

5) turn up master as needed

At that point you should be able to get the limit light to light if you turn up the master.... And it ought to be pretty darn loud . Then you can set EQ as you want and you should be good to go.

Another thing is to try turning off the power amp clip limiter....that will get some more loudness in some situations, as long as you and the speaker can deal with it.

BTW, a loudness mod for SVT4 PRO? News to us.......

20. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I just called ampeg about a week ago, maybe two about the svp-cl output. When he was looking up the info we were talking about my experience with the svp-pro and the 4-pro. I mentioned that a member here said that if he hooked up the svp-pro to the power of the 4-pro that the svp had more output and was louder. The ampeg teck told me there is a mod listed at ampeg (and he breifly told me what it was but I cant remember the details) that would increase the output or gain of the preamp side of the 4-pro. This info come strait from ampeg. Just passing along what I was told from them. :)