1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it me or them???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Definitely you

6.9%
  2. Definitely them

39.1%
  3. You're both Richard Craniums

6.9%
  4. Neither of you

40.2%
  5. You're a Daucus carota subsp. sativus Cranium

6.9%
  1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Actually, looking for opinions. Please be nice even if you think I made a Richard Cranium move.

I saw a strat on Reverb that I was interested in (OK, strat - first mistake!). He didn't have an offer button so I sent a message and said, "Hi - I see you don't have an "offers" option. Are you set on the price, or would you consider an offer?" He answered and said, "Hi. With the perfect frets and all parts included and only 50 shipp. Im good. Sorry my man. : )" I sent a message back, "I don't blame you. Thanks for getting back to me. Good luck with the sale."

So the guitar goes in the sold category, then comes back, then goes in the sold category again and comes back. I'd really like to buy it, but at $2,000, there would be almost $150 sales tax. So I send him another message and said, "Hi - do you have this listed anyplace else, like strat-talk? I'm interested, but I'd like to avoid the $100+ of sales tax. I think paypal protects buyers and sellers regardless of where an item is purchased." He sends me back this really snotty email and said he's done and takes the guitar down so it's no longer for sale. Too bad because I was ready to buy it regardless.

So who's the Richard Cranium, him, me, both of us, neither of us?

Full disclosure - question posted on another forum too.

EDIT ****
    What I didn't say was that after I got the snarky message, I sent an apology. He answered it saying we're good, but the guitar is still off the market. I'm moving on, not that I have a choice.:D

CLARIFICATION *** Some people seem to be hung up on the guitar rather than the situation It's a Nash strat. Every one is unique and the price is right in line with all the other similar Nash strats.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it sounds like he's one of those 'short fuse-rs', stylistically. as i read your description: you conducted yourself as cool/fine. he didn't get the results he wanted after all was said and done = he blew his passive-aggressive gasket and his attempt at a sale follows his personality deficits...so he loses...again.

if i wanted to pursue this instrument: i'd write him a cordial note letting him know that you may still have an interest, then i'd be patient. if/when he cools = he might contact you (as if nothing ever happened!).

good luck in your pursuit of the ax! :thumbsup:

i voted "Neither of you" even though i think he's a big baby. :D

3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm thinking the seller.
    But...
    Did he specify 'No Offers'?
    If he did, then some of this is on you.
    And can we see the 'really snotty email', just to get the full picture?

It's probably still him, though.:D

JRA likes this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

See, if you had gotten a Telecaster you wouldn’t have had these problems. Tele owners are no-BS people, not hiding behind a whammy bar.

5. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Private sellers can act as they like. If you want a professional buying experience buy from a retailer.
    7.5% tax isn’t a lot and if it’s a deal breaker that’s all on you and nothing for the seller to be concerned about.

31HZ likes this.
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Maybe $150 isn't a lot to you, but to me it's worth a message to see if I can save it. Also, I never said it was a deal breaker, if you actually read my post I said I was ready to buy it regardless. ;)

mcnach, Blueinred and JRA like this.
  7. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Have a purpose and live it out. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    I consider everything online for sale to be negotiated for.
    If dude got his panties in a wad over you asking questions then Mr. Thin Skin shouldn't be selling stuff online where random strangers can interact with him
    I've seen your posts and your a straight talker like me.
    Some folks are just too darn sensitive!

8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Dealing with offers is part of selling used gear. It seems like the offers made by @lfmn16 were polite and reasonable. Since the guitar seems to have been sold, then back on the market, the seller probably had someone back out of a sale (at least once) and got fed up. :meh:

Aqualung60, lfmn16 and MynameisMe like this.
  9. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Sounds like he was just tired of dealing with trying to sell it at the price he wanted to get for it. Could be a blessing in disguise that might have saved you some hassle.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t see where you did anything intrinsically wrong by asking if he was open to an offer, although there’s the argument that the lack of the make an offer button should probably be taken to mean the price is firm.

I also think some of his reaction might be attributable to the fact the guitar was “sold” and re-listed twice. Probably had two supposed buyers back out on him after the fact. And having you come in on their heels with a special request might have set him off enough to decide he was through with Reverb buyers. Can’t say I blame him. I’ve come close to reaching the same decision myself a few times. But that doesn’t excuse him sending you a snotty message. The few times I was really pissed off with someone there I just didn’t reply to theirs and was done with it.

He might have also been worried answering if he had it listed elsewhere because that might have been interpreted by Reverb as him attempting to do a private side deal to circumvent paying Reverb their listing commission fee on a sale. That sort of jive move is major TOS no-no that can get you permanently barred if Reverb ever spots it. EBay and most other selling sites have similar rules and the main reason they forbid cross site referencing in listings.

Bottom line: stuff was going on with the seller that didn’t involve you and I think you just got off on the wrong foot as a result. You made a few minor faux pas. He was rude.

Books balanced. Onward! :thumbsup:

viper4000, LBS-bass, Seashore and 5 others like this.
  11. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    A Tele player would never have had such a crummy attitude.

Joshua, BarfanyShart, lfmn16 and 5 others like this.
  12. McTred

McTred

Apr 2, 2012
    Anytime I sell used gear, I'm happy to find a good buyer... And I always assume I'll sell it for less than what I paid to get it.

13. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    The seller must have had bad luck with problematic buyers(the guitar going on and off the market).
    Some people just says the hell with it,better keep the guitar than deal with the hustle.

LBS-bass, Rabidhamster and lfmn16 like this.
  14. You lost me at $2000 for a Strat...:greedy:

BurnOut, mcnach, mexicant and 8 others like this.
  15. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I don't think you did anything wrong, but I can also see that the guy got frustrated because instead of somebody just buying his thing like he planned, he got you and 20 other guys proposing alternate deals and driving him nuts.

16. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    It was not meant to be, mon chéri.

REV, lfmn16 and kesslari like this.
  17. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah this is what I was thinking. Especially these days, I imagine people are getting more "offers" and he could have just reached his boiling point. Dont think either of you were doing anything wrong, it just didnt work out.

Rabidhamster and lfmn16 like this.
  18. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I picked you simply for trying to buy a strat.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like you're a bassist and he's a guitarist and kinda jerky. So he can keep is Strat.
    I am sure you can find another Strat that is better and costs less and doesn't involve weird Reverb dudes.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Of COURSE it was you!
    You're a bass player - what were you thinking, trying to buy a Strat? There's your mistake right there!
    :D