1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Want to know your thoughts on this one... before I start the bashing.

I bought a bass related product less then 6 months ago, used it for a week, packed it away safely, needed it again now - and it's malfunctioning. I can't use it - AND - I need it now. Not next week, not a month from now - now. I called the company, the best they'd do was tell me where the nearest service center was. Called them, and the best they can do is have it for me in 3 weeks. Not good. I need it now. I wrote the company again and clrearly explained the situation. They responded and said I could ship it to them across the country and they'd fix it and send it back. I wrote back explaining a 2nd time that that won't help as I NEED IT NOW! They refuse to swap the item at an authorized dealer (or any store for that matter) and give me what I paid for - something that functions. It's $150 item. Best they'll do is expedite the repair if I send it to them.

I'm pissed now and want to trash them to all hell here on talkbass and every site I can post at.

Am I being unreasonable, or are they not taking care of their customers the way they should?

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Slam away, you know you want to. :D

3. bongos will do that to you :)

just kidding :)
    what was the product?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    ErnieBall has been the best company I've ever dealt with. Just wanna get that straight. I loves those guys. I'm not talking about them.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If it is under warranty, no. When a piece of equipment we sell fails under warranty, we will send the customer an advance replacement overnight. The vendors we buy from do the same to us. Those who do not, we will not deal with.

Joe....next time, get the piece of gear out way before you need it and make sure it works. :D

-Mike

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Slam away.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Alright - doesn't take much to convince me. It's Tascam. I bought a bass trainer and when I hit fast foward or rewind, it jumps all over the cd. Makes the thing kind of useless. i bought a DAT machine for a $1000 a while back it also had it's quirks - I dealt with it though.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That makes it even worse. It's not like its a small company who can't economically get you a quick replacement. Screw 'em. I wouldn't deal with them any more.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    A weeks worth of use, packed it back up... & now its Kaput.... I had considered getting one of those, but I guess I wont now. Thx for the heads up, Nerve.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Tascam? That is really disappointing. ;(

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Have you talked to the store where you bought it? Maybe they will exchange it. Maybe speak to someone higher up in the company that has the authority to issue such an exchange.

To play devil's advocate: you have owned this tool for 6 months. While I don't doubt that you haven't used it in 6 months, the folks at Tascam probably hear that every day. TASCAM is willing to fix it, they're just not willing to do an immediate exchange. Part of me can understand why Tascam isn't willing to do an exchange on a 6 month old piece of electronics.

Back in reality: I seem to be hearing alot of stories about these things being less than durable. I really wanted one at first, but I may reconsider that now.

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Perhaps your problem is from where you purchased it. The retailer sometimes can make the call when the manufacturer can't on what to do with defective equipment. Who did you purchase this from?

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    If I owned a company like that, I wouldn't treat people that way. I would take pride in my product, or try and find some way to make the customer happy. The company and their product failed me. It's pennies to them, incredibly important to me. Their aurthorized person in my neighborhood could easily make and assesment that the thing has not been abused. There's not a mark on it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245103

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Unfortunately I purchased it about an hour and change from where I live - in Irvington NY. Picked it up when I had some free time before a gig up there. It was factory sealed in that hard plastic crap that's impossible to open. It couldn't have been used and returned.

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Since it's beyond the store's return policy (the most is usually 30 days), then you're subject to the terms of the manufacturer's warranty. They were cool enough to try and expedite the return, you should've at least tried to find out what 'expedited' was, since it sounds like it would've been less then the 3 weeks you were quoted.

I've had to send stuff across country for warranty repair before and got it back in a week or less. At least they were trying to make some kind of offer instead of just saying, "Sorry kid, guess you'll have to use the local guy and hope he has your product repaired in the 3 week time frame he gave you."

Yea it sucks, but now you know why GC offers those special warrantees on products they sell. If it breaks, GC deals with the manufacturer and you get a brand spanking new unit on the spot.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Very short sighted of them not to realise that in these days of internet forums like TB, this sort of behaviour can easily cost them a lot more than it would to just replace the unit. Good will is not rated highly enough by some companies and as a result they lose out as badly as their customers.

Don't you have statutory rights in the US in addition to your manufacturers warranty? Here in the UK an item has to be of "merchantable quality" otherwsie you're entitled to your money back, regardless of what the warranty says. I'm pretty confident that a technology item like this that malfunctioned under normal use so soon after purchase would be considered sub-standard in this respect and their offer of a repair in 30 days would not be satisfactory from the point of view of our Trading Standards people.

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know how you feel, Joe. I got a similar response from Apple when a new Mac I bought for work was having problems. It would crash incessantly and was pretty much unusable. Apple's policy is that they would take the machine back and work on it, but would not replace it, no matter what. The local mac store had replaced parts, reinstalled OS, everything under the sun, to no avail. After weeks of ferrying it back and forth to the authorized dealer where I bought it, I got to wit's end. I was at a standstill at work because I couldn't work with the machine, couldn't work without it. Had no choice but to have work buy a brand new Mac just so I could do my job. Eventually the problem machine was fixed with a new power supply, leaving me with a perfectly functioning, and perfectly superfluous computer. Morals of that story: 1. If you can't afford to go out and buy another widget without blinking, it may be wise to invest in some lube, because the widget vendor might not offer you any. 2. Apple as a happy, friendly alternative to the evil Microsoft? Puh-leese. I like Apple products and will continue to use them, but I have no illusions that Apple is interested in anything other than taking my money.

I will always try to give my business to companies and people who DON'T operate this way. Warm fuzzies are weighted in my cost/benefit analysis process.

Joe, I hope you find someone along the line who appreciates the warm fuzzy factor, and who will make things right for you. :)

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Somehow, I knew you were talking about that. I did the same thing, however, mine worked after that time period and I simply sold it, never used it. But now that I don't have one, I kinda need it.

There's certainly better stuff out there, but the Tascam is so readilly available.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I bought a pignose hog30 a bunch of years ago. The batteries crapped out on me when I needed it for a weekend camping trip. The warranty had long expired. I called the company. The owner shipped me new batteries at no charge (about a $40 value), overnight delivery so I could have them for the trip. That's how I believe customers should be treated. I love those guys, I love that amp - I would recommend them to anyone.

Same with Ernie Ball. They always treated me with the utmost respect and did everything in their power to make sure I am a happy and satisfied customer.

Warwick also - those guys bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. They did a great deal for me when I owned my Warwick.

20. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I had an experience with a guitar shop that tuned ugly and then suddenly turned 180 degrees with apologies and refunds etc. I think for the exact reasons as stated above. They realized perhaps that the power of the internet could mean more of a loss than our squabble was worth.

Can you borrow one from someone while you get yours fixed?