1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it Men's Work or Women's Work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike, May 4, 2006.

1. Men's work.

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Women's work.

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Unisex Work: I like to mow the lawn after I do the dishes.

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. No work at all.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  5. Carrots

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Cucumbers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    ya know, i have to confess... since my wife and i moved to Cali where we rent a Condo (who can afford to buy around here?) i really dig not having to mow the lawn, shovel snow, fix the roof, rake the leaves... all that outside work that men typically do when you own a house. what a waste of calories. now that we rent, i do the dishes more, vacuum, clean the toilets, shampoo the carpets and even do the laundry. this stuff is easy. what's all the complaining about? i'd do this over any of that manual labor crap anyday. i wish our condo was larger so i could clean more.

so what do ya say, guys, is it men's work or women's work for you? or, am i just a wuss?

please do not bore me if you are offended by this thread and feel the need to tell me that i am only perpuating stereotypes, blah, blah, blah. i don't care. got to ani difranco's site for such a discussion. someone there might be interested. this is my thread. :bawl:

:D

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can hand in your testicles at any emergency room. :D:D

In all seriousness, it's crap that needs to get done, so you do it. The toilet does not care, nor do the gutters. I have to admit though, my wife has never started the chainsaw and I have to be bugged about dishes.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i think it's part of marriage ...

i'll sweep floors , do laundry , put away clean dishes , take out the trash twice weekly ,
    feed the dog , do some grocery shopping , make the beds.

my wife lets me buy basses and bass amps , and she does all the cooking .. :D

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I generally enjoy to keep my living area clean and tidy, so it is just habit for me to do the necessary chores to keep it that way. It became habit for me after seeing this magnet on my fridge growing up....

"Housework is something no one notices until you stop doing it."

-Mike

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I grew up in a traditional Korean family where my mother wouldn't let a guy wash dishes, do laundry or things like that. But I was "allowed" to clean out the garage, mow the lawn, etc.

Nowadays, I do whatever my wife nags at me to do that I forgot to do yesterday that I promised her that I would do the week before after she nagged me all month about it.

Really, I'm blessed and more fortunate than I deserve in terms of these things.

7. I enjoy doing it all. I really love hard manual labor... moving stone/logs whatever, building things, doing whatever. (Had to resand the beach at the campground I work at this past year, man, pushing a wheel-barrow full of sand THROUGH sand can be tough, but I loved it)

But, also I enjoy cleaning. I take pride in my work and whether it's the bathrooms/cabins at work or my room at home, I like doing a good job.

*I like being outside the best... so I guess it's "man work" for me*

8. i like doing outside work more than inside work, whether its mowing the lawn or gardening (at my old house i used to grow cherry tomatoes and rasperries) just so long as its outside...i am not a fan of vacuuming or washing dishes, and i have been told (by women) that i just don't see dust.

9. I do all that BS around here...but I prefer the outside work.

Mike

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There are some chores that I did enough of to actually enjoy. Raking the leaves, washing the car, cleaning the garage etc. They're very therapeutic in a way, and you get some fresh air and exercise. I also like doing the dishes (was my career at various institutions for a good 4-5 years), but hate cleaning the bathroom or washing the windows or vacuuming, they require more finesse and concentration than I can muster. The brute force labor where you just have to move things or throw things out, those are the ones where it's easy to get lost in your thoughts and zone out. I don't particularly like doing the laundry, but it's something that can be done concurrently with other chores, so doing it makes me feel more productive.

Luckily for me, my girlfriend has the same attitude I have regarding exteriror work with interior work. So we work out pretty well.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You know what they say about women and their small feet.

12. Heh. Heh. :D Hateful "woman" with really annoying phone pervert breathing between phrases. Our lead guitarist actually OWNS a few of her albums, and plays them on the way to work in the morning. I have to ride with the guy, so this annoys me greatly. Guitarists. :scowl:

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's men AT work:
    [​IMG]

bc

14. i dunno...the only cd by her i have heard was up up up (etc) and i didn't think it was that bad...granted i didn't really listen to the message, but the instrument parts were cool...

I better not say i didn't listen to the message...i might be some nasty PMs :)

15. This kind of thing shouldn't be confined to a specific gender. If you both live there, it should be both your responsibilities to keep the house clean and take care of that stuff.

16. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

i disagree, mike. women were born toilet cleaners. haven't you seen the television commercials? ;)

17. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    yeah. i have heard about 5 songs of hers in my life. regardless of her message, i didn't stick around long enough to figure out what that was exactly, it just wasn't my gig. give me some hendrix or marley anyday. that has some power.

i pity you in your rides to work. :D

18. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I get a sort of perverse joy from lifting heavy things.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You do what needs to be done regardless of gender. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider whether one person is better at a task than the other. I do most of the cooking and all of the car work; she does most of the housecleaning. We both do laundry. It works out.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I couldn't vote. This is the first TB poll I have ever seen that
    didn't have the 'carrots' option. That's the one I always
    vote for. What's with that?

incredible.