Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it more profitable to sell a bass as whole or part out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rstellar13, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Im looking to sell a few of my bass, and I'm wondering if it is cheaper to part out or sell. Thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on the bass. You have to factor in how desirable the parts are to buyers vs the whole bass and make a guesstimate. You also have to factor in the extra work and shipping costs involved in a partout. No clear answer on this one, I'm afraid.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Eastern Wisconsin
    In general I would guess you'd make more on the bass as a whole. It is certainly a lot more efficient.

4. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Parting out seems to yield more cash. Personally, I find it distasteful. I play, and prefer, intact basses. Yet I do buy parts on occasion...so that must make me an enabler.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

Depends. I agree that parting out a great original vintage bass can be wrong, but I personally built a 1972 Jazz by buying parts and would part it out if I ever sold it. I wouldnt feel right about selling it as all original even though it could likely pass for it.