is it my bass that has crap tone or my amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Mar 27, 2004.

1. x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i hvae a yamaha bbg4sii and i have played it on a peavy microbass, and two other big peavys. it has alot of punch but when i went to this punk show i heard the guys bass it and sounded thumpy and warm.

is it my amp?
    or is it my bass?
    or is it that my bass has a different tone?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Could be several things that give a sound you don't like

If you answer these somebody can help

1. What are your settings on amp
    2. How do you play (pick or fingers)
    3. What are your settings on your bass

Also, what kind of bass and amp was the other bassist playing out of?

Finally watch your language when posting
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep - cool it, bucko.
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'm willing to bet it's the fact that you've only played through Peavey amps. I don't have too much experiance with them, but I never liked a Peavey amp I played.

But I've never had any experiance with the bass you play, so you should also take into consideration the advice from abark.
  5. x182

Mar 22, 2004
    ive played with everything setting on both my bass and amp.
    i play with both fingers and pick (depending on what im playing of course)

i think the guy was using an american jazz. soemthing similiar probably.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

EQ can make or break your tone. As far as Peavey amps go, their small ones aren't going to sound like a 1 kilowatt stage rig with parametric EQ. But I own a Peavey BAM210, and it blows away a lot of 'big name' amps tonally.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Who are some famous bassists whose tone you like? Maybe we can help if we know what your ideal tone is

I have a Peavey 1 12" combo that currently powers a Ampeg SVT410HLF. I keep my amp settings flat and my bass is a Vette Standard. I like the tone i get from equal balance between neck and bridge pickup with the tone on about 75%.
  8. Work on getting a tone you like with your fingers. It makes a huge difference how you pluck the strings and how solid your fretting is.

The first few years I played I didn't like my tone except with flats on a very warm sounding bass through a warm sounding rig. Luckily I had a teacher who taught me to keep my nails short and use the soft pads of my fingers, and practice getting a warm punchy consistent tone on every note, unless I want something else.

Pick playing, too, depends on technique to get good tone.

Now I can get my sound through most gear.

9. Unless you can afford a high end bass amp (EA, WW, Mesa Boogie, etc.) get a Sansamp bass driver. It will definitely enhance your sound, no matter what kind of "good" amp you are playing through. Also, changing strings once per month should help a lot.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the strings on my main bass are 6 months old.... my other bass has a set coming on 2 years old. Both basses sound great IMO.

x182: I use a Peavey MicroBass while livingroom jamming with my singer/acoustic guitarist... bass @ 10 -- mid @ 5 -- high @ 4 works pretty OK. If you're playing in a full band... the MicroBass AIN'T enough amp.
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    String changes once a month may be good for you, but if you play less or more you will have to adjust statement...

Thats like saying "Make shure to get new Tire's every two weeks"

For some people that may too much...
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's your amp.

On the strings thing, I changed the strings on one of my 55-94's after 4 years. Big mistake. It was six months before they sounded good again.

13. It's still a great sounding practice amp. I have one myself.
  14. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    could you maybe help trying to mix two tones in my behringer 1200 amp (a really steller amp btw), im going for a mike watt tone...mixed with the tone of eric wilson from sublime...any help on that...i want that really low growl that watt has, but also want to be able to get great mids as eric does...any help would be wicked