Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it my STRINGS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by David_Swan, Jul 16, 2001.

1. David_Swan

David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    My E (first) string always makes this ringing sound when I play it, it hits the neck and screws up everything, its not that bad, I can live with it but would geting new strings help?

Thanks...

2. Newf

Newf

Jul 16, 2001
    Try raising you'r action on you'r bridge...i think you'r string may be too low and it hitting off the fretwire and that's what causing the ringing........something like that hapened on my old bass, and what i did was got new strings and got the guitar tech to check it out....

3. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    David,

String height is most likely to the culprit, but you might want to check over the neck and make sure that it's not curved or bowed. If string height is the problem, don't make the same mistake most people who play strings make, most people DO NOT reset the intonation of the adjusted string. This will cause some fretted notes to be out of tune. You will also need to reset the intonation if you change string guages.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me an Email at PurgatoryLounge@hotmail.com.

Mike