1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it normal for the amp to hum?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheNewB, Jul 21, 2019.

1. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    My new amp arrived about three days ago and I've only just noticed that it's humming a little. It isn't audible when I play, but it is kinda audible when I don't play anything, and even hums a little when I turn the volume all the way down. The amp in question is a Hartke HD50, brand new. I made sure it wasn't the bass by plugging it into my previous amp, a 10 watt, and turning the volume to the same level that I was playing at with the new amp and the old one wasn't humming, or atleast not to same degree(if you listen carefully, you can hear a very, very slight hum). Is there something wrong with the Hartke or is the hum normal?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    jamro217 likes this.
  2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What kind of bass are you using? If it has single coil pickups and you are facing the amp that could be the problem.

jamro217 likes this.
  3. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Ontario
    How loud of a hum and in what setting? A hum you can hear in your basement by yourself could be unnoticeable in a room with 10 people talking and the tv on. Single coils pick up a lot of interference. Does the hum go away when you turn down the volume on the bass? Almost all my amps hum a bit. My old tube amps more so than solid state.

4. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    I have a epiphone embassy, which has two humbucker pickups, but I already said that it isn't the bass, because I tested with my older amp and it didn't hum, but now that you mention it, I practise in a quiet room and the hum actually isn't that loud, now that I think about it. With the volume at 2 and standing 1 foot away from the amp, I guess the hum is comparible to someone 3 feat away breathing

5. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    O, and there is still a very slight hum when I turn the volume all the way down

6. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The hum is probably caused by electro-magnetic interference (EMI), the source is the amp power transformer, it's loud because you're so close to the amp.

dan1952, agedhorse and TheNewB like this.
  7. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    Ooo, that actually makes alot of sense now that you brought it up. Thanks for the reply:laugh:

8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    You could try using a ground lift, or switch the polarity on the amp if it has that capability.
    If it hums without a bass attached, it's the amp, if it only hums when you've got a bass connected it's the bass.
    My suggestions are if this hum is the classic 60hz ground issue.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Look for sources of noise in your space. Fluorescent lighting, light dimmers, power supplies - computer, monitor, router, also air conditioners, heaters, motors, transmitters of any type, electrical wiring in the room, etc.

Each amp is designed with different approaches of electromagnetic shielding. So it’s hard to compare the hum of one amp to another. A new amp should have good shielding. But if the source of noise is strong enough, it can overwhelm measures taken by the designers.

Try the amp in another room. Try facing it in different directions. Humbucker pickups help but noise can still enter the amp itself after the input jack.

Try a shorter instrument cable. Just long enough is good. If it’s long, lie it flat on the floor and snake it back and forth. Do not overlap it. Never walk on a cable, it can open the shielding and allow noise to get in.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    nbsipics, Rabidhamster and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I usually play a Jule Amps Monique tube preamp through a RAD Engineering (Pascal) 1000P power amp. With everything turned up to ten I cannot hear a whisper from two feet away.

11. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Only when it forgets the lyrics.

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

BobDeRosa, soundsupport1, fig and 8 others like this.
  12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    OK, is the hum coming from the speaker or the actual amplifier? With my amps you can hear some transformer hum in a really quiet room even with the speaker unplugged but they do have big transformers in them. At a rehearsal or gig you wouldn't even notice it it's that soft.

13. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    The old ACC Acoustic amps hum naturally I have a couple of them so I’m used to it. Bobby Vega talks about it on his YouTube Acoustic 360 video. Other than them I have no real idea.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does the amp still hum with nothing plugged in? If so, it has nothing to do with the bass.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  15. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    What song is it humming? Mine tends to hum yankee doodle.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's not unusual to hear a small hum/buzz from an instrument amp, especially cheaper ones. As long as the hum is pretty low and constant (i.e. not louder as you turn up the volume) it's a non-issue. As others noted, because of building wiring it might be quieter or noisier depending on where it's plugged in.

17. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    Okay, that's alot of questions. I'll try to answer 'em all. #1 The buzz is coming from the speaker itself. #2 It still buzzes when the bass is plugged out. #3 The hum becomes a little louder when I turn the volume up, but it only becomes noticabaly louder when the volume knob is past the 80% point. #4 Haven't tried it in a different room yet, so I'll get back to you on that. #5 Which song is it humming? I dunno, some sort monotone electric crap, so probably a Deadmau5 song;). Are any of these possible sines that I should return the amp, or is it fine? Because the hum doesn't effect tone, I'm just worried there might be something wrong is all

18. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Lotta guys feel lucky when they get a hummer.

I mean, I heard ...

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  19. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Does not sound like a new amp should. I'd exchange it for another if you can.

20. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It is remotely possible your amp is humming due to the electricity in the house or its placement near something. If its that, another brand/model may or may not do the same.

If its not that, then yes you should return it right away. Move it to the other side of the room temporarily, different outlet, and try turning it on with the volume up and nothing plugged in no cable, nothing. If the hum is just the same, take it to the bathroom or kitchen and try there. If its the same, I'd return it. You can plug it in at the store and see if its humming to if you like, if it doesn't hum at all there it may confirm something with your house wiring and that amp are allowing interference.

DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.