Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it normal not to be phased by the presence of movie stars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Feb 18, 2004.

1. So...as I usually do on Tuesdays, I went to class from 11 - 12:30, then I went to Santa Monica beach to swing on the traveling rings, and lo and behold, Rene Russo and family walked by and plopped down some towels, chairs, and other picnic equipment. Her daughter swung on the rings a few times, and so she gave it a shot, too. Looked like she had gone a few times before, but then she came up and asked me how I do it because she'd seen me on the rings when they were putting their stuff down.

Well...yeah. When I finally left, I began wondering why I didn't get all giddy about seeing a celebrity at the beach. Provided, I am by no means a huge Rene Russo fan, but it was still really interesting to see her there and to talk to her like anyone else I'd meet at the rings.

Then again, maybe it's also because I'm not intimidated by her like I am of all those bass players out there like Vic & Stanley Clarke.

Ok, so I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I just thought I'd share my story of the day with you all.

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They are just people, though rich people. I went to the school where Tom Hanks and his family put their kids through school. I think it was his daughter who was in band with me and I remember Tom coming up and telling us how good we are (the band program sucked and we did sound horrible, but it was the sixth grade). I didn't know who he was until later and even knowing I didn't feel too excited about it. He was a nice guy though. Props to movie stars who aren't a-holes.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I live in town of about 40,000 in PA...where, somehow PSU can attract big name acts to play at our basketball arena almost weekly...
    Through high school I worked in a convenience store across the street from the hotel where most of these acts stayed, many of them came in to buy candy bars and smokes, and I was never impressed or star-struck (especially by KoRn, ha!). Actors, musicians and athletes don't really hold too high on my list of interest, though.

4. Fender4life

Fender4life

Feb 18, 2004
    Maine
    you must be pretty stupid than :p

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I use to work in a restraunt, and Chris Rock would come in from time to time.

There was this one little redneck hostess girl that went INSANE everytime he came in. It was pathectic.

He was a alright guy..but a bad tiper. His wife was gorgous.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    More stupid than what?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not. Why bother? Of all things to do when you see somone you recognize, should squealing like a schoolgirl really even be and option?

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like you.

9. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I'll tell you if I ever meet one.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I had lunch sitting next to Clare Danes and Ben Lee in the cafe at IKEA in Sydney. I didnt even notice them until my flatmate who I was with at the time pointed it out.

My partner is very much into celebrities and gossip etc and she always recognises celebs when we are out at pubs and restuarants, functions etc, and I never notice them. I just am not good at placing faces!

That said most of them just act like joe average when they are not "on screen".

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No big deal to me either. I don't see any reason to treat them any differently than anyone else. I respect them for their skills, and accomplishments. But I do that for my dad, a cop, a school teacher, etc.

OK, so they can act, sing, throw, run, shoot, catch, or whatever better than me. Fine. I bet I play bass better than Ben Affleck. I bet I can hang and tape sheetrock better than Stanley Clarke. We all have something we excel at. It's just that no one wants to pay big money to come watch me hang sheetrock.

As a side note, the bass player for REM, used to hang sheetrock for the same company I did. I worked with him several times.

-Mike

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    From what I've seen most celebrities liked to be treated like people. I recall seeing Sinbad after a show, we were in the USAF together and I hadn't seen him for a few years. When I got home afterwards my wife asked if I had gotten an autograph. I asked "why?".

It never dawned on me to ask for something like that, maybe it's because I think I'm too cool for that, maybe it seemed silly to ask someone I knew, maybe it's because I can only imagine what a drag that must be the 8 millionth time around.

I met Matt Garrison after a gig and he hung out for about half an hour, just shooting the breeze. I think he appreciated people not blowing smoke up his___ or fawning all over him.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think the real question is did they ask for your autograph...

"Are you the Brad Johnson of TB and AGB?"

;) :D

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Who?

15. I have met tom hamilton of aerosmith a few times...he has a house in the same town i live in so he is seen occasionaly at the mall and around my town. It doest really strike me as "oh my god, its tom hamilton", its just another guy who is famous and he's a hell of a nice guy too.