is it odd to have a backorder on a cheap mass produced bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scamp, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    I ordered the peavey grind bass ntb 5-string at the end of july and just got called by the store and told it wouldn't be in before the first or 2nd week of september now. All of the big mail order shops have steadily pushed their expected date back as well. I am now somewhat weary that peavey might be having a large number of problems with the bass as it seems like after 8 months on the market it should be fairy easy to come by. I know backorders for higher end basses can be quite lengthy but it seems like something in this price range would be readily available. Any one care to enlighten me as to either me being paranoid or this being an odd thing for a bass at this price range?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Send an email to Peavey Customer Service and ask them what their take on the situation is. More than likely you will get a better answer from them than you will from the store. Give them the order details as well (date ordered and who from).
  3. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    it's more likely that it's because it is that price range. Seems awfully inexpensive for the features, neckthrough 35" scale, etc.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area had 'em in their last paper catalog. Maybe email and see if they have them in stock.
  5. only if its something not commonly ordered, like a certain finish....or even a really popular model that keeps selling out.
  6. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No it is not uncommon to have backorders with mass produced products. Factorys usually do a "run" of a product and then switch over to a different product for a while.
  7. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    customer service mailed me back today. They "hope" to have more by september. God I hope there definition of hope to have more by september doesn't equate to november like it does to me when I read it:D
    They are apparently having capacity problems which I can understand if the bass sounds half as decent as it looks.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Mass production doesn't mean CONSTANT production. They may make a few hundred (or thousand) of one model, and then they make some of another model, etc. If the manufacturer underestimates demand, they may sell all their stock before a new batch is ready.

With overseas manyfacture you add another element: quality control may turn up problems in a production run that causes delays. When the factory isn't local, turnaround on thse problems can stretch into weeks or months.

Some manufacturers actually tell dealers what the "window" for production is so dealers will know when they need to place orders in order to be guaranteed delivery.