1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it ok to unwind my strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maya403, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    Will it hirt my bass?

2. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    *hurt

3. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Unwind your strings? What do you mean by that?

4. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    well generally you unwind your strings to change them , i would not store a bass like that , the neck could twist in funky ways without the resident tension. by the way its hurt, not hirt

5. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Unless he's referring to Al Hirt: trumpeter and band leader.

6. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    Did u not see my second post?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As tmdazed mentioned, your bass could be hurt if you store it with the strings detuned. That's because the tension from the truss rod would not be counteracted by the tension of the strings, and warpage could result.

It's okay to take the strings off for short periods - say, if you're replacing strings or cleaning the fretboard.

Some believe that strings should be detuned when shipping a bass, but many (if not most) manufacturers ship their basses in tune, because they believe the bass is most stable when the string tension and truss rod tension offset each other equally. That makes the most sense to me.

Edit: I don't think it's a good idea to detune strings and loosen the truss rod, either. Just leave the tension on the neck, even in storage.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can edit your post, but the question remains, WHY do you want to unwind your strings? There's no reason you'd WANT to. When changing strings, you want to go one at a time, btw.

9. Joe 1956

Joe 1956 Banned

Nov 23, 2012
    Tennessee
  10. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
  11. Please explain what you want to do? If you want to relax the string tension between gigs or something, there's absolutely no reason to do so, and it may cause harm to your neck.

12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Do you mean "you" when you type "u"?

13. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    Ha you know what I mean.

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I, like others, are still unclear what you mean by the question. Do you want to loosen the strings when not being played? Do you want to remove them and reinstall them? Do you want to detune? More details and we can give better answers.

15. Joe 1956

Joe 1956 Banned

Nov 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    How many threads do you need?

16. I would agree with you, but carriers insist that the strings must be loosened, or their insurance won't cover neck damage that may occur during shipping. In fact, if you have a claim that is one of the first things they ask about.

Detuning helps avoid a cracked headstock, which is not supported by the truss rod, but is under tension when strings are tuned to pitch. (lost a G&L that way)

As you mentioned, guitar makers ship with strings tuned. I wonder if that has something to do with maintaining the factory setup. Big companies ship thousands of guitars each year, they can absorb an occasional damaged guitar. Probably have a different insurance arrangement than us, too.

17. Fuzzbass

It takes relatively little time to change a set of strings, so I honestly don't think it matters whether you replace them sequentially or all at once. I replace them sequentially, but only because it allows me to use the remaining strings as a reference to get them up to pitch (naturally I complete the process with a tuner).

I take 'em all off when I clean the fretboard. Again, no big deal as long as they're not left off for an extended period.

18. Fuzzbass

Interesting... I've shipped some basses but was unaware of this. Thanks!

19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    There are tons of necks just waiting to be put on a body. They are fine. They will be fine forever unless they are in some extremely dry/humid storage location. Even then they'll be fine 99% of the time. Of course a setup will be required when they finally get mounted.

I still don't know why OP wants to "unwind" his strings but it's perfectly fine unless he means Taking the outer wrap off the string to reveal the core. Lol

20. Talkbass is going down hill.