1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it ok to wait months for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taught, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes.

38 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No.

63 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. It depends

87 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. To us in the world's largest economy, it means the same thing. I've stopped caring about it. Stuff I know the local stores will have, I buy there (strings, cables, etc.). But I can't count on much of a selection of instruments or amps. Like it or not, we're headed quickly towards a world in which you see and hear it online and it arrives in the mail a few days later. If you don't like it, you return it.

2. McBubbler

McBubbler

Apr 18, 2018
    Those 70's CV basses are everywhere I go, even Guitar Center has one hanging on the wall, and they don't have anything in stock anymore. I could understand a week or two depending on how often they get a shipment, but I would think that if they ordered one, they would've had it in stock a long time ago.

3. That's not how this business works.

4. McBubbler

McBubbler

Apr 18, 2018
    Then it sounds like something mass produced like that 70s CV might not be worth their time. I wouldn't feel bad at all cancelling the request and purchasing it elsewhere, especially if I could confirm that it's in stock.

5. The problem is the manufacturer and distributor, as described earlier in the thread.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Dude, it is a Squire. You shouldn't wait more than a week for something like that.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Wait months for a custom built Wal, Ritter, or Pedulla direct from builder? Yes.

Same wait for a stock bass from a retailer that keeps pushing the date back? No.

8. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Wonder if this adds to the theory that they aren't producing any more and are going to flip the line into the new stuff for summer 2018? It's probably on eternal back-order and the factory isn't producing any more, they're ramped up to ship the new catalog in the wholesale channel for summer retail delivery.

taught likes this.
  9. After seeing OP’s comments having a better insight.. I’d probably go with whoever can it to me quickest. Fact in point it’s admirable you want to be to loyal to your local store and I’m sure they appreciate it, but chances are it’s taking someone a heap of time out of their working day to talk with you and then go up against manufacturer/distributor/shipping company to fix it to the point that the ~€40 profit they were going to make is probably now at a loss at this stage. I’ve been that guy on the side of the desk and it’s not been until the finally happy client walked out that I realised both of us wasted a lot of money/time.

Ask them upfront if you’d rather keep the business with them, is it worth their time? Thomann or perhaps Bass Direct in the UK might be better. Guitar Guitar could be another option. So could be heading to the UK/elsewhere in Europe for a road trip

McBubbler and taught like this.
  10. ll Rip ll

ll Rip ll

Jul 20, 2014
    Lebanon, OH
    I ordered a May Custom last September. I'm happy to wait as long as it takes. That said, i probably wouldn't wait more than a month for a stock bass.

11. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Yes, it's okay.

12. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    No, bc I live in California.

13. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I voted no, but after reading some of the situations above. I would say "That Depends".

14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    God bless The USA

MEKer and ll Rip ll like this.
  15. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Those of us who look on your musical instrument market from the outside know - he already has.

BOOG likes this.
  16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I’d really only wait a few weeks to a month for something I really wanted and knew it’d be back in stock ASAP, or to lock in a sale price on something out of stock online.. but months for something pretty standard? No way.
    If I were having a bass custom made by someone like Wal or EGC, then sure take my money and take your time!!

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    The entire Europe has one distribution center, Everybody gets "stuff" from them. It is a such market, that big chains and stores have more options to store particular units and sell it. Small stores have no such option. Some of the stores (I know it, been there, done that) have to pay upfront for "stuff" if they want to have some profit from sale.
    As about this Squier - get it while is available, don't wait.

18. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Waited a few months for a special order G&L fretless. Worth it.

19. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Go get the one you can get NOW.
    Your local guy cannot guarantee anything about when he will have it for you. He says next month, next month. That means he does not know, it means he IS NOT getting truth from whoever HE gets it from. Tough luck for him, I understand. But he is just dragging you to (hopefully) keep a sale for himself.
    Go get the one you can get NOW as I (and others) already said.

murphy and taught like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I would only wait that long for a custom build bass, anything else is dime a dozen ...

Giffro and ll Rip ll like this.