1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it ok to wait months for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taught, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes.

38 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No.

63 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. It depends

87 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    IMO if you can get what you want from some other vendor, then I'd do just that.

Squier Classic Vibes are darn good basses, but I don't think there's that much backlog in production to warrant the kind of wait you've been forced to endure.

And since you say you've bought from this store before, maybe politely call them and tell them you've found it someplace else, and can order from them and have it in a few days. Might get them to light a fire under their suppliers.

taught likes this.
  2. FilTurd

FilTurd

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    In your case I would say no...

murphy likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I wouldn't wait any amount of time for a Squier or any sub $400 bass as they're not uncommon. A custom bass though, sure.

4. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    They might be uncommon in the OP's market though. In Hong Kong, where I live, Squier CV & VM basses are not available new at all!

Giffro and taught like this.
  5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Very true, didn't think about that.

Fun Size Nick likes this.
  6. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    In my area it is very rare indeed. The shop itself warned me in advance that it is very rare which I don't doubt. I've never seen it played by anybody, only saw it once on the used online market, Thomann is also out of stock and talking about months.

Today I am gonna walk in to the shop for a set of strings anyway. I am gonna kindly tell them that I'll wait another month and no more.

murphy and Fun Size Nick like this.
  7. Squier CV is not even sub 400 Euro.. in Europe.
    They go new for >500 USD.

taught and Fun Size Nick like this.
  8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  9. murphy and taught like this.
  10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    True.

What about amazon.co.uk?

That same bass for 397 GBP, which is about 450 Euros.

And my original comment wasn't meant as a specific dig at Squier, I own a VM P5 and love it. I just meant I wouldn't wait months and months for any generic mass produced bass.

11. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    in my opinion that depends on if the bass is worth waiting for! example , a custom made Bass like a fodera/warwick/lefay/ etc. yes !! worth the wait ! if its an over the counter Bass like a squire/epiphoine/samick etc. HELL NO!!!

12. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    I’m waiting for a long time for a 4 string Warwick Thumb Bolt On. I’m in the US, and I was told it would be in the States on 4/20. I’ve been following up and now it is supposed to be 5/20. I traded some stuff in or I would have definitely walked by now. By the way, I’m in New York.

13. Europes way to say "Right back at you". :)

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Reminds me of the months and months Bartolini gave me the run around when I had ordered a TCT preamp through my local Victoria BC dealer in 1987

I think it took a year of daily phone calls to Bartolini...Mrs bartolini

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  15. Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    ^ I just checked the bass on Amazon UK. There is only 1 seller and unfortunately it does not ship to Hungary. Although you are right about the price (shipping excluded).

17. I have waited 2 months for a custom, built-to-order bass, but I'd look elsewhere if possible for quicker delivery on a mass-produced one.

18. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I’d say it’s nothing unusual to have production or distribution lags of months, but truth be told, if their store isn’t earmarked for that model, you’re not going to get it. Your standing order with the retailer has nothing to do with that instrument actually making it to the retailer, you really just put a deposit down for when one shows up at the store. All you can go on is what the folks at the store tell you about the typical reliability of their rep/distributor, and hope it comes in... and hope the one that comes in isn’t a turd. I don’t think you’re silly for waiting, you’re just at the mercy of the fickle finger of Fender. I’d give it a couple more months and move on.

Giffro likes this.
  19. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    You understand my point though. I just threw a random number out. I didn’t know how much CVs sold for, I just picked a number out of thin air and happened to guess right. If you’re going to nitpick about that but bypass the point of the post then there’s no use in conversing.

20. you totally don't get it....

let's leave it there.