1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it ok to wait months for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taught, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes.

37 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No.

63 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. It depends

87 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Unfortunately US prices are a poor indication of how much an item sells for in another market. Let’s look at what a European online retailer sells the item for in Hungary - Thomann (think Sweetwater) - €444/US$526

But hey, it could be worse - you could be Australian! (That’s €470/US560 for those playing along at home)

Taxes, shipping, and distributer markups all come into play here - as well as a dose of ‘what the market will bear’. Count yourselves blessed, my American friends.

Giffro, taught and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  2. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Ha! Well deserved!!!

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  3. ltsal

ltsal

Dec 12, 2017
    Germany
    As many said before.
    For Custom build bass i have no problem waiting a year or more.
    However for a "Normal" Bass like a squier im ok with a week and maybe a month if its something special.

At the moment im waiting for my Dingwal D Bird Standard thats coming by end of this year(about a 6 month wait).

By the way i know a guy who ordered his super custom Alembic Serias 2 6 string about 8 years ago and is still waiting for it. His other two Alembic Series 2 took about 6 years to get build and shipped to hin.
    So it all basiclly depends on what you ordered, where and what.

4. BDUSTIN

BDUSTIN

Jun 7, 2018
    Oh my god! This is my biggest fear. I'm currently waiting on a custom Warwick Thumb which got pushed back from a four month build to six months. I've literally had multiple dreams where my bass arrives and it's either the wrong model or some of the features aren't correct.

5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I've waited 9 months for a custom build including clearing customs. That was 5 months behind the time estimate initially. But that is for a custom build. I would not wait 4 months for a Squier.

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I agree that it is a Fender issue and just shows how poorly they are able to execute their business model and support their customers (distributors and end users). As a contrast I ordered 3 Paiste cymbals (Swiss Made) from my small independent drum shop and they promised me 2 weeks and had them in 1. Paiste knows what they are doing, they have a fully stocked warehouse in the US and have an excellent distribution model globally. Fender should pull up their socks and fix this but seems like they probably won't.

Giffro likes this.
  7. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    This was my worst experience with buying any bass...and I've bought a few. I made the mistake of paying the balance (wasn't necessary) before the bass was ready. Won't make that mistake again.

Part of the problem was that the builder really prefers to sell this 'model' direct and his non-USA model through dealers. I believe that's the cause for the delay. The wrong order was on the dealer.

8. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Update - Still waiting on the Warwick Thumb. I'm being told next week now....

9. I think it depends on the bass and your location.

Squiers are easy to get here in the states. Have no idea what the situation is in Hungary though. I know here in the states it can be very difficult to get certain brands made accross the pond. Like cog effects pedals, barefaced cabs, Warwick’s distribution is terrible these days in my area. GC stopped carrying them when they parted ways with Dana b goods and the little mom and pop stores don’t stock anything expensive.

As far as waiting. I waited about 10 weeks to get my Dingwall ng2 because they literally sell them faster than Dingwall makes them. I waited about a 4 months for a special order musicman years back but they also had to build the bass, it wasn’t just a matter of shipping a production model.

Giffro likes this.
  10. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    This happened when I got my Fender P/J Mustang over a year ago! It was shortly before they switched to Pao Ferro on the fretboards and Musician's Friend was "back-ordered" for a month and I was bass-less and losing my mind. Lots of impatient phone calls to MF and Fender! It eventually showed up and I'm in love with it. Heck, maybe the rosewood versions will become "rare" and really valuable one of these days. :D
    Anyway, patience is a virtue but if you don't have a backup to play in the meantime, take your money elsewhere!

11. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
  12. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    As I live in Australia I waited 8 months in 2017 for Ernie Ball in California to make up my special custom order of a white 5 string double pup Stingray SR5 bass for me. I ordered from my usual music shop and the order went through a different state of Australia to the Music Man distributor, who in turn forwarded my order direct to EB in California. When you can't pick up the bass you want in Australia you have no choice but to wait for the one you want, especially when dealing with the music shop you ordered through, the authorized distributor/dealer who actually imports it for you and the guitar manufacturer who has to make/supply the bass. That's ok if the local music shop keeps you in the loop as far as delivery dates are concerned, as most times here the only contact we have is with the actual music shop we ordered from, as the distributor wont deal with the public and in some cases neither will the overseas (or local) manufacturer...in this case I knew the approximate date for pickup within a few weeks with in-the-loop info from the music shop, so I didnt mind at all waiting. It makes a huge difference if you know what's going on during your waiting period so I was happy to wait.
    The waiting was worth it too...
    EBMM SR5 Stingray2.JPG

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I vote no.
    It's not a custom order.
    If I order something I would expect it to be in stock and ready to ship.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. ll Rip ll

ll Rip ll

Jul 20, 2014
    Lebanon, OH
    Stock, no; custom, as long as it takes.

15. I've only ever bought one bass new. Much better value second hand and you can flip it without losing much if you don't bond with it.

16. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think you've waited more than long enough.
    Good for you supporting your local store, but if they can't give you a definite delivery date, and they obviously can't, as it's clearly out of their control, and you can get it somewhere else, then get it there.

17. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    Guys, the waiting is over :thumbsup: I've got the bass and you can take a look on it here:
    NBD: Just a Squier!

They talked a lot of BS when I asked them for the 100th time. Eventually I went to them and said them that an other shop has one in stock and they can deliver it within a day literally so what were you guys doing for 3 months? And why should I wait for you?

Then magically I had the bass delivered by the end of that week.

I find it really sad they did not care at all for months (despite my continuous nagging) and eventually they only stood up and act when I "threatened" them that I'll cancel the order and buy it elsewhere.

I don't think I will support them in future.

Oddly likes this.