1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it ok to....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matskull, Mar 11, 2008.

1. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    let my bass in its case all the time (which is laying on the floor). Or is it better to keep it on a stand.
    It sounds silly but I never thought about it before.
    thanks

2. should be fine.. if anything bad happens to it i dont think its because its in a case. The same atmospheric conditions apply.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I keep mine (the ones I have cases for) in the case, leaning up against the wall. The rest are in gig bags, leaning up against the wall. I never store any of them flat.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I hang, mine, put them in stands, lean them on my amp (carefully) and lean them in the corner. You really can't hurt them as long as their not in danger of falling, being stepped on or having something fall on them.

5. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    All things being equal, the case is probably safer, protecting from both falls as well as potential disfigurations in the finish from resting (long term) on the rubbery stands.

6. I don't think leaving it in the case will be a problem.

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    No, it's not ok to use vague, non-descriptive subject lines. Ask your entire question in the subject line so people know what the thread is about. If anyone else is curious about this subject and searches the forums, they're not going to use "Is it ok to..." as their search terms.

8. Take a deep breath... it's going to be alright.

9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I had the same question actually.

Ive got a few now with another one in the pipeline, so ive got myself some wall hangers, I was wondering if its going to damage my neck being hung up all the time??

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Hanging them doesn't hurt them at all. If it did then music stores wouldn't hang hundreds of thousands of dollars woth of their inventory that way. You're talking about a sub-10 lb body pulling straight down on a neck that it's secured to with multiple bolts (or even a neck-thru design). Sleep easy.

11. +1... the only negative to keeping a bass on a stand of any type is dust and a higher probability of someone knocking it over or dinging it by accident. I typically keep my basses in their cases or gig bags... more for easy efficient storage than anything else. If I'm in the midst of playing a lot at home, I'll keep a bass on one of my hanging stands for days at a time... non issue either way.

12. I prefer to leave my main bass out on a stand. I want it to be real easy to go pick it up, even if it is only for 10 minutes.

13. Jordan

Jordan

Feb 22, 2004
    The rubber on some stands will eat through a nitro cellulose finish.

Jordan

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1 - If I'm not playing them, they are in the case. I also have all of my basses leaning against the wall vertically.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Another +1, however once I'm done playing the bass for the day I simply stick it right back in its case or gig bag. I only leave it out on the stand if I'm taking a break and plan on going back to play it soon.

16. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Hehe, it was a kindda funny question but it's good to know that it's not a problem to leave it in it's case.
    Thanks everyone

17. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    The case will work as a temperature/humidity buffer which can be a very useful thing in extreme instances. Huge shifts in either can be bad for a bass. The case helps regulate extremes.

18. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    Yeah that's what they say in the manual, they say it's better to leave the bass in it's case for an hour or so when coming from the outside if it's cold outside. I got a laquer finish and they also say that I should not put it on a stand with rubber on it cause it might damage it, allthough I allready damaged it by hiting it on a drum or something, iù,d like to keep it as perfect as I can, I want it to grow old nicely.

19. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Hopefully one doesn't experience such extremes around the house or rehearsal studio. :confused:

20. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Clearly you've never been to chicago:p