Is it only me that think Musicman Bongos are extremely ugly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel sorry for all bongo users but I have to admit that I think they are very ugly.

Sorry :rollno:
  2. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I wouldn't say that they were ugly. :bag: Just not for me. ;)
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i guess beauty is in the eye { or in this case , the ear } of the beholder ...

i played on a grey one the other day , and i could care less what it looks like .

tone to die for , absolutely smokin' basses , imo ..
  4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with them. I think they are less than attractive as well. I'm sure they are greatplayers and to all who dig them, right on. They are just not for me.

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What an original opinion, i feel it needs a thread about it.
  6. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    They look better in person. No kidding.

And they sound INCREDIBLE.

If you cruise around the various Bongo threads, you'll find a common story..."I thought it was ugly at first, but then I got to play one, and WOW...."

Living where you are, chances are it's not easy to get a look at one or even to get a chance to hear one outside of a recording.

I kind of like the fact that they're not ANOTHER take on the Fender shape.

But if you think they're ugly, well, that's your prerogative.

Vive la difference!
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Cool, it's this month's "bongos r ugly" thread. One of my favourites, right up there with all the "pick players suck" threads. :p
  8. bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    yeah. I think they look stupid-ugly. I'd rather have a sterling. ANYDAY. I mean, I guess they probably sound good. But if I was offered one for free, I'd sell it and buy something else the same day :oops:) just my opinion though. now... you could probably get the same thing in those new double humbucker Stingrays they got comming out...
  9. Thank God I'm not the only one. tired x infinity.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On another note. I play a sterling, and i have played a bongo, and believe it or not i didnt like the tone. Ive heard others play bongos as well, my band played a show with Joe Nerve's band and his tone was good, but its not for me.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why are you sorry?

You're a 17 year old Swede--why would any Bongo owners care what you think?
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT

7 pages later..."yea, but how can you play a bass that looks like a toilet seat?" :bag:
  13. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Not keen on the look, but they do sound great,and they're made of basswood, I know there's nothing wrong with basswood, for me it's just a stigma of being a cheaper alternative to alder. why don't they just use ash or alder?
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Apparently not. Someone ought to post a thread about how they sold their Sadowsky to buy a Bongo and how awesome it sounds when played with a pick through their Behringer amp. I think TalkBass might just explode. :p
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    their decision had nothing to do with price. prototypes were made out of several woods including alder and ash, and the basswood one sounded best.
  16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I love my Jazz Bass. Lots of guys here think it's too traditional and clunky looking. I don't care for the looks of Bongos. Or all the multi lam $$$ basses. And I don't like coffee ice cream and I don't like cheesecake. Apparently, a lot of other people do like them.

So be it.
  17. hahahahahahahahaha nice! I think my head WOULD explode, indeed. Don't try it. :D
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, I've got two Bongos, and one Sadowsky. Guess which one is for sale?
  19. jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    they DO look like toilet seat now that u mention it :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.