1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it overkill...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sunn, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I just got my EHX Hot Tubes in the mail yesterday and gigged it!!!:eek::hyper:
    It was meant to replace my Real Tube Overdrive (Tube Works) that I have used since 93. I thought the RTO was busted, but it ends up the 12AX7 was just a little loose---it works fine :oops:

I have them on my SKB powered board along with my POG and plethora of other effects...Should I ditch it or use it as a secondary??? I don't know. The 2 sound very different...

Discuss:bassist:

Sunn

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You have your answer...The two sound different, so you can use either one for different songs or different parts of songs. It would be like having two muffs on a board. You can set them up for different settings...
    It's really about your personal preference on the sound they push out.

3. hey, how is the Hot Tubes for Bass anyway? hows the low-end/low-mids? I loved the tone of the Muff'n but could never get it to stick up for itself in a band context

4. I would probably get an assortment of tubes to try with them. You could set them up at different gain levels or put them in different positions on your board.

5. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    When I get the pedals I'm thinking about I'm going to have 2 delay pedals, one of which has memory slots, 2 wahs, 3 gain stages, and 2-3 octave pedals.

In my opinion overkill on a board is when you have pedals on it you don't use, duplicates or not. You might even have 2 of the same pedal set the same running into each other, or in different parts of the chain. If it sounds good do it.

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Do you have the Hot Tubes with tubes or the other one?

I have a tube Hot Tubes, and it holds its own. I keep it set for an awesome tube screamer sound and i cant be happier. It gives you the black rebel motorcycle club sound to the T.

7. Your username is 'Sunn'... then there is no such thing as overkill.

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i recorded a part with a Hot tubes once, it came out awesome. but it was just one of several signals blended together, so i cant speak for using it live with one signal.

9. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Low end and low mids are great--but I had to spend a lot of time trying to get just the sound I was looking for. This thing really is not a regular pedal at all. It really takes time to get it right for you because of all of the tonal possibilities. Bass and Treble don't seem to work the same as with other units...I turned the gain way down to get the sound I was looking for.
    I am really liking it so far...and this is with the stock setup!!! In other words, I can read the possibilities of this thing. I mean I was achieving an extreme way over the top tube assault at first, but then on the lower end of the spectrum, I got some real subtle, very crystalline, rich clarity that only a tube setup can obtain. I use lots of chords on bass to back up the guitars since it is only myself and my girlfriend on strings, and I could hear AND FEEL the notes.
    I am not a tech head on bass, and I am not very used to describing as TB is the first forum I have joined, but I will say I am VERY VERY SATISFIED with the EHX Hot Tubes on the bass.
    I run through a Sunn 190B Head, 2 1X15" cabs. Fender Jazz Bass/Peavey Foundation Bass. I like to experiment with lots of different effects, and I can tell you I won't un-velcro the EHX Hot Tubes from my board any time soon.:bassist:

Sunn

10. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hehehe!:D;)

11. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It is the valve version.
    It is still all stock, but i so want to find some NOS or new ones to put in. I have been hearing that some people have had success with that.

12. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I saw some other EHX tubes on the brochure that came with this thing. I think this is the next step.

13. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for all the responses.

I think since I have the Hot Tubes, I will have that one to take care of the brunt of the OD work. The Real Tube will be used for standing out in other sections of songs.

I highly recommend the EHX HT if you can find it. Never tried the vintage SS version, but this thing next to the Big POG and into a Tube amp brought some audible, happy "Oh my god!" from the audience during my counter rhythms and solo. I even left it on for a grind during a few songs too!

~Sunn

14. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Dude i second that. The Hot Tubes is very overlooked.

I actually use a fender 12ax7 in the "red" slot and a RCA 12au7 in the "black" slot. It gives you a great fuzzy break up sound with out as much noise.

I really cant tell you how great this pedal is.

15. If you want somewhere to start on the tubes I would try to grab a pair each of some cheap 12ax7s, 12at7s, and 12au7s so you can try the various combos in the different slots. They'll all have different gain levels. Then once you figure out which ones you like in each position in each pedal you'll know where to start on finding some really nice tubes if you want to upgrade at some point.