1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it poss to get this sound from a jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by manchild, Nov 30, 2010.

1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008

What pups would be best for it? Want to experiement with 125k pots to take the edge off the sound! lol

2. Assuming a passive bass, 125K pots are going to provide a 62.5K resistance across the output. You're going to lose a lot of output that way.

3. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    On my Jazz (stock '08 AmStd) I get this tone or a dang great approximation of it with Chromes flatwound strings and a pick. I'm picking almost over the 20th fret to decrease the intensity of the pick's (1mm Dunlop tortex tri) attack. Neck pickup solo, tone pot to taste (I leave it open because it's pretty dark already).

Our instruments may vary but perhaps this nudges you in the right direction?

(IMO IME YMMV)

4. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks for that 2400 - sounds good ;)

Line6man - would only use a 125k on the tone, maybe up the volume to 500k to compensate?

Is a 250k pot not at 125k when turned half up?

5. Why would you want a 125K tone?
    You can switch to a higher value and just roll it down further. That way the bass can still be bright when you want it to be.

A 250K tone pot is at 125K at around 4/5 of the rotation with an audio taper, and half the rotation with a linear taper.

For volumes, the same applies, but remember that there is also a resistance in series with the signal.
    A 250K pot rolled down to 125K means both a 125K resistance to ground (Equivalent to a 125K pot turned all the way up.) and a 125K resistance between the pickup and output.

6. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    I dont think you would have to do much that sounds like a pretty basic jazz tone.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just turn your tone control down.

8. You know, for the life of me, I can't get why less resistance=less output. I would've assumed the opposite. Could you explain?

9. The less resistive the parallel load across the signal, the more you divert that signal to ground.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right; on "10", the pots are not "in line" with the pickup (series) but "between the pickup and ground" (parallel).

think of it this way: the higher the resistance, the less the signal gets through the pot and gets bled away, and the more it "stays on course" and makes it to the jack.

11. Oh, right. That makes sense, for some reason I thought it just added series resistance to the signal. Thanks for informing me.

12. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That tone should be super simple to get out of a jazz. Sounds like a favored neck pup to me with the high end rolled off and a low mid or low end boost. A very in-articulate tone in my opinion that fails to ad any rhythmic component to the song...i can't tell if the right hand is doing anything at all...but ya know....different strokes...

13. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    This, and while I'm a big fan of flats, I'd say pure nickel roundwounds would me more appropriate for this sound. Flats would give too much clunk and definition (my description) in the low end.

14. this plus use an svt and add lots of compression