Is it possible? $700 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Savino, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    Hey people
    I just picked up a new student, who doesnt have a dbass. now, he is very motivated and enthusiastic but only has about 6 or 700bucks to buy one. Any advice as to where I can start to look. Im trying to avoid BSO's here.
    If I remember, The son of the owners of Ideal Music hangs here (who I always loved) and has some basses to dispense. any leads? thanks guys
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Mike,
    I think it's generally understood, as you probably already know, that in that price range there isn't anything new that's above the BSO level.

I would recommend your student hunts around a bit to see if someone has an old bass with a name you recognize as half decent that is being sold cheap for ugliness or similar. Enthusiastic people tend to get lucky sometimes, make sure he lets every friend and relative know he's looking for a bass, something may pop up.

3. mazaremba

Apr 15, 2004
    Well, I know the feeling. I am buying a new double bass for $7000 and nice bow for the first time (infact it is coming in the next two days ;) )...all this after playing for less than a year on a Roth fiberglass model.
    I know that the lower models sound like crap, but I don't think it really matters if the student is willing to learn like I was. If he wants to play, he will play on I know everybody is going to say "how can you let him play on such a horrible bass...!?!," but after all not everyone has a ton of money.

I strongly believe, and I am speaking from the same exact situation that this kid is in, that an Engelhart or a cheaper bass may not be good for down the road, but they do provide a good bass to start from. Many people are excited to play and when they actually spend all the money decide they don't want to or that it is too hard.

BTW, how old is he? If he is in high school maybe the school has one he can borrow? My school let me do that and it did help after I got the basics down. And is he going for classical or jazz or even both?
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ideal Music on 22nd street.

I bought a bass there and have no complaints. Still will need a full set-up but they do come playable.

He has one that starts at $750. It is old new stock.

Hope that helps.

Of course have him play as many as possible. The basses are in good shape and not cheap Ebay basses.

5. If I remember correctly, the Ideal Music man you're looking for went by the handle 'greene' around here. Apparently he sold a lot of decent entry level basses at low prices. A number of satisfied customers posted here.
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

7. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Has he thought about renting?