1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is it possible that the bass could be plugged directly into a PA speaker instead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bushy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    While this has been becoming popular with guitars; plugging direct to powered PA speakers instead of the traditional guitar amp as long as one has a modeling type of amp in their effects box (ala Fractal, etc.). I'm curious if the bass guitar just couldn't pull it off and would still require the traditional head and cab (or combo) setup to move air?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's possible, but a PA cab is not going to have the low-end reach of a bass cab. That said, I played a bass through an Avalon U5 into an older Mackie SR1530 column and liked it a lot. In my yacht rock band I go direct to the board through a Radial J48 and into JBL EON One speaker systems. It sounds good enough through the little 10-inch subwoofer. You could probably get away with using an EON One as a rig for small to medium gigs.

dralionux likes this.
  3. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Also look at Yamaha DSR112.

bushy likes this.
  4. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    I have an Avalon U5; I'm curious if that functioned as your preamp? I'm such a gearhead when I could've just gotten a pair of really good PA speakers to work with all my instruments (guitars, bass, synths, etc.). I was looking at it previously more in a traditional way where I must HAVE a guitar amp for guitar and bass amp for bass, etc.

Were the PA speakers you've tried in pair? Would that be considered "stereo" then or dual mono?

5. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
  6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    No; bi-amp means that each of the 2 drivers is separately powered.