1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to add a tone control to THIS?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by quadrogong, Sep 29, 2010.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
  2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Looks pretty tight in there. I think your best bet is to try a stacked pot. I don't know much at all about EMG pickups but I think you'll need a 25K pot for the volume and then a 250K pot for the tone. You should be able to find a usable pot at http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_concentricpots.htm

Even if you can't get a tone control in it, it's too cool to pass up!

3. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    "VOLUME KNOB IS CRACK, DOES NOT AFFECT THE WORK OF IT."

huh?

4. A440Hz

A440Hz

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Digital Audio Developer, ScratchAudio.com
    VOLUME KNOB IS ON CRACK, WORK FASTER AND SLOPPY THAN NORMAL KNOB.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Acrylic is a beyotch to route through because it tends to melt and stick. I agree that stacked is the way to go.

6. Why would you want to cover that cool pic of Michael Caine?

7. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    heh heh..very funny replies, thanks, all. I hadn't thought of that, waiting to hear back about the weight, i may get her... thanks!
    i think he meant the knob is "cracked"?

this would have been a cool project bass for your TB build-off, like the Steampunk bass that lights up? imagine funky 70's disco lights in this sucker?

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    It looks like there would be room if you moved the battery 90 degrees into the bottom of the cavity. Alternatively, you could install a three position switch that selected between three capacitors to emulate your favorite positions on the tone dial...

9. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    ...if there's room for everything in that cavity,

that's an interesting idea..maybe not as straightforward a concept to explain to whoever does the work for me,it would involve some more work,drilling,and they'd probably try to convince me to go with a stcaked pot,
    but interesting idea.

10. That bass looks sweet!

11. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    if a 3 pos switch would fit, isn't it possible to add another pot & use a small knob or something..? there is SOME room there, hard to see the depth of that cavity,but a volume pot is in there,right?
    i wonder if maybe a tone knob could fit next to the volume using just a drill hole?

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
  13. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    just found out she's 11lbs,6 oz !
    sort of a backbreaker.. i may pass. oy vey!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021