Is it possible to busk with a Peavey Tour 700 w/ a 2x10 cab without utilizing an outlet?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tslide, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Tslide

Tslide

Nov 19, 2015
    Hello folks of Taklbass, i'm honestly at my wits end with this question, and I would rather get an opinion first, from people hopefully more knowledgeable than I, so I don't waste my money.

I want to busk. Here is the gear I intend on using

Peavey Tour 700
    Peavey Headliner 2x10

And of course, my bass, but I don't believe that factors into this equation.

My question is, there any portable power source that can handle my gear? Without breaking the bank?

Please and thanks in advance, I really appreciate it. I just want to play music, where ever.

2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

No, at least not for very long. You could in theory use a fully charge large UPS but it would be constantly beeping loudly as you use it, and would run out of juice after a fairly limited rum time.

You could use a generator, but you would need a quality genset. I don't recall the verbage for the issues, but you would need a generator that provided clean power, no voltage spikes or drops things like that. Honda makes generators that fit that bill but they are over a grand at the cheaper places.

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Any thing is possible, so yes. Does it make sense? Doubtful at best. Sounds like you need a small generator. Quite a load to move around, unless you can park right where you want to play. Another option (if you can play next to your vehicle) would be an inverter, run off your vehicle motor?

4. Big Hoss

Just had an interesting thought though. Where are you planning on busking? If you are doing tailgates or something like that, Add a 2nd battery on a switch to your vehicle, and rig up a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter. That will provide your power until you suck the spare battery dry, then switch to your regular battery and drive off.

5. Tslide

Tslide

Nov 19, 2015
    Hmmmm...that sounds like a great idea. Only problem is the parking situation. Its a pretty busy area, so i'd have to scout out the parking situation beforehand. I see you live in Pensacola. Its a ways up from where i'm headed, but maybe you've heard of Wynwood Art Basel? Thats the area i plan to busk at

There's a neighborhood north of where I live where a lot of artists gather. Basically, I'd be playing somewhere on a strip of bars/clubs, and a couple of venues. Your idea sounds solid if I can find an immediate parking space to my busking set up. Honestly didn't think of that, so thank you.

6. Big Hoss

How about a 12v auto battery clamped on a lighter outlet to the inverter. On some sort of cart.... just thinking out loud.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Why not just get a battery powered amp or a more practical setup which can be run on a small amount of power. It would probably be easier and less costly. I know plenty of buskers that use the Roland Microcube.

Big Hoss likes this.
  8. Big Hoss

Crate used to make one of those battery-powered amps. I think it was rated at about 100 watts.

9. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Phil Jones makes one.

10. If you have a "Battery Warehouse" near you , check with them. The sell inverters , batteries and chargers. I don't know if they will have anything that will push a Tour 700 but they sold my wife a set up to run her C Pap machine so she could go camping. It was around $150 for everything and it will run her C Pap machine for 17 hours before the battery needs to be re charged. Take the power specs for your amp and ask them. Can't hurt.

11. Wrong amp. Yours is inefficient and overkill to boot.

You don't need to be louder than a singer or you will get noise complaints.

mbelue likes this.
  12. markmeloney

markmeloney

Apr 27, 2013
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a battery powered amp by ibanez. don't quote me on that

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Honda eu 2000i. $700 to $800 used. Very quiet, approx 20 amps. Will easily hold your amp and a couple of others and a pair of efficient powered speaks... And of course when the hurricane strikes next, you are that muchcloser to self sustaining...

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I don't understand why on earth one needs 700 watts into a 2x10 to busk on the street. Most jurisdictions have general noise ordinances and many (most?) have specific noise limitations for buskers. Get a small battery powered amp.

15. Tin Cadillac

Tin Cadillac

Oct 27, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Why such a large amp unless you are playing a large venue with a full band?

I believe Roland has some DC powered amps that may be suitable but most busking I have seen is 100% acoustic so why not get yourself a nice acoustic bass and you don't have to worry about power!

16. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Sounds like that amp is all the OP has. Or as least what they like.

@Tslide unfortunately "bass busking" is an exercise in frustration.
    Carry allot of heavy stuff, compromise tone significantly, or buy very specific things.
    Guitarists have it easy.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021