1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to buy a bass that is like the Sting Bass but is not...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9mmMike, Sep 22, 2008.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I really like the Sting Signature model bass from Fender but I am not especially keen on paying for the signature.
    Do they sell the same bass without the signature? What is it called? A '51 or '53 or something else?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My memory is spotty on this, so I might be off...
    There was a MIJ '54 reissue (contoured body like the Sting). You might be able to find one on the used market.

3. 9mmMike

I see that Fender offers a '51 RI. This is different than the Sting edition? I can also only find them in butterscotch. I will look for a '54 RI next. Thanks!

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Squier Classic Vibe 50's P is another option.

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The '51 had squarish sides like a tele, not contoured like the 54. That year also saw the strat ( more contours) come into production. Are you looking for the mudbucker or the single coil? Lots of mudbucker copies out there ( Squier) but I think the only other Fender like the sting is the paisly version. Very 60's art vibe. Japanese reissue. Comes in blue or pink.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Fender Custom Shop made a few reissues from the '54-'56 era a few years back. You might look into finding one of those.

7. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  8. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I've played the vm tele bass, the vintage vibe tele bass and the CIJ re51.

The vm is a whole other thing than the others. Alle were in their price range very good basses. The CIJ smoked the other two like it should for double the amount. Still it was great bass.

9. The Sting bass is an exceptionally crafted instrument, given the time it is reproducing. It's an ash-body string through with a great neck and tight, vintage keys. I've had mine for six years now. I replaced the pickup with a Duncan single coil, put some bridge and pickup covers (get the '55 for the right fit) and it is a great value. Forget all this crap about the "stinglay." No one notices it, and so what if they do? Someday they'll be hard to find, as they are made in Japan. Beautiful finish to this day. I say go for it. If you don't like it, I'll buy it as a mate for my main player.

10. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    +1,000

11. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    +1001

Heck of a bass for the price!

12. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    54P-Bass3. Here's my Sting with a '51 neck

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  14. +1002 )))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 9mmMike

Thanks everyone. I really value your opinions on this. I do not actually hate the signature too much. It was "special edition" price that I wanted to avoid. It sounds like this is one case where the edition actually is special though and not just some decal or paint job. I will continue to look for a Sting Edition.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Mike

16. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    You probably won't even notice the Stinglay after a few days or so.

Although, if you happen to play on it you will forever dream of blue turtles. Stay away from the 12th fret (maybe that was Sting's wish?).

17. 9mmMike

What bridge is that?

18. 9mmMike

A funny thing happened on my birthday......

Mrs. 9mmMike took me to George's Music and bought me a Vintage Modified Precision TB. The fine crew at George's put a set of flats on it for me and, along with a new practice amp (Peavey 158), I was on my way home with some GAS relief.

I am still planning on getting a Sting edition Fender but this will certainly help me while I hunt one down.

Sorry for highjacking my own thread.

Mike

19. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like a standard Fender bridge to me... :confused: