Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to create a active/passive switch on a Stingray5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by him666, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Is it possible to create a active/passive switch on a Stingray5?
    How? :)

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I don't see why not, seeing as how the stock MM pickup is passive with an active pre. You'll get your best answers in the Luthier forum, though.

3. Mmmm. Bumpie.

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    try the pickups/electronics forum

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Aww, no need for a sad face! It shouldn't be too hard. You just need to isolate the active preamp section and throw in a switch that bypasses it. :D
    Without a wiring diagram for your bass though I can't be more specific, and I'm a little busy at work to dig one up just now.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The Stingray's pre is pretty integrated into the tone circuit. Secondly the volume is a 25K pot and is located behind the preamp circuit. So, if you go passive, you will lose all tone control, and the volume won't really work either.

If you really wanted to do it, I think the best thing would be to get a DPDT on-on mini-switch and bypass the whole circuit. You'd end up with a normal mode and a "pickup straight to jack" mode.

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Wouldn't be too hard to throw in a new vol knob for when you're in passive mode.

But from what I hear those p'ups are really quiet when run passive, so that's not gonna be too hot an option.

Here's a good test:
    get some wire leads with aligator clips on each end (avail. at radio shack for really cheap), and clip 'em on to the wires straight out of the pickups and the other end to the output jack. This will let you test bypassing the preamp. (I'd also pull out the battery so you don't have extra current flowing around in there.) See how it sounds. If you like it, go ahead and wire it up to a switch. If not, nothing lost and no wires snipped.