Is it possible to defret an Ebonol Fret bboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedalpointer, Mar 28, 2002.

1. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    With all the talk about defretting basses on here, I was wondering if it was possible to defret a bass with an Ebonol fretboard. Has anyone ever tried or have any ideas?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
  3. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Do you think it would crack the plastic or come out fairly easily, like wood?
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was thinking it would crack the plastic/composite/whatever the heck that stuff is. But I don't may be hard enough, and the frets may just be glued in, not compressed in. Good luck.
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What is Ebonol, excactly? I talked about phenolic fingerboards with a luthier, and he said that phenolic doesn't "give" like wood, the frets are glued in, with a light press fit.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Don't know what ebonol is, but phenolic is very hard - it's what pool balls are made out of. I don't imagine that frets in a phenolic board would have tines like those for wood boards.
  7. If it can be refretted it can be defretted.
  8. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Sorry, I thought Ebonol was plastic. Anyway, I'm thinking about defretting one to have a fretless. But I'm a bit torn. I could probably go down to the local music store and get a fretless new, and sell this one as is. It's in great shape, but I was figuring that the fingerboard wouldn't wear easily considering what it's made of. I was thinking about filling in the gaps with acrylic or something, maybe plastic strips. I'm starting to lean towards selling it, though.