Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to detune all 4 strings safely...?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arranger, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    ...without interfering with the integrity of the instrument?

Is it common to take a 5-string set and just use the bottom 4 to restring for B-E-A-D tuning? Is there a better way to achieve the same result? Is there a known gauge that would be better?

...or is the whole issue a bad idea and moving to a 5-string just much more sensible? I'm not fond of the girth of 5+string necks.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    sure. i used to detune my 4 string b-e-a-d...i also tuned it like a cello c-g-d-a...

do it once and see how the neck responds.

3. Is this a temporary thing? Or a permanent? I'd got with new nut and 5 string sting set if permanent.

Detuning will change the feel of your strings....just sos ya know...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you should be fine. Like don said, your neck might act a bit different as far as relief goes. You might need to loosen the truss rod a tad to account for the lower tension on the strings. but if you use the bottome 4 of a 5 string set, you might not need to, because the tensions are closer. Check out D'Addario. they give tension ratings for their strings.

5. You might try playing "high 5"... tuning EADGC... so then you wouldn't have to deal with the "girth" of the B string, and you don't lose the flexability of a 5 string. Also, this should keep your neck from going screwy as it might if you only had 4 strings(i might have misunderstood that part, if so, jsut ignore it :) )
    Peace :smug: