is it possible to get a Musicman sound from a J-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SomeGuy118, Sep 1, 2002.

1. I hope this is the right forum for this... anyway I have a Fender Jazz bass (Mexican) and I wanted to improve the sound of it, and if at all possible make is sound kind of like a Musicman bass (I like the kind of punk sound the Musicman gives you). Is there anyway to do this? (Like changing pickups etc.). Oh and have a Peavey TNT 115 combo amp just so you know.

if there is another post like this please give me the link because I did several searches and didn't find anything.

2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you're willing to get some routeing done-you could get a musicman pickup [seymour duncan??] & an active circuit installed. There are probably other ways to get a similar tone. thats all
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The cheapest way to get NEAR from a MusicMan sound on a jazz bass is to wire your pickups series. You can even install a switch to go parallel/series.
    Check this for further explanations :
  4. i second this. my rumblefish has a switch that toggles the wiring, and the series position reminds me of a stingray. not as much treble, but very powerful sounding.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how do i do this?
    that link doesn't show me a diagram.
    infact i can't even click on the top links.

just tell me what i would have to do.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i can get in. i don 't know if that really helps me much.
    so what do i have to do to make it in series with a switch?

7. thanks for the help I'm going to look into rewiring the pickups... and moparpunk281 here’s the article thats on the site

Question: (submitted by whitt45) I'm going to add a series/parallel switch to my Jazz bass, on a push-pull pot. Anyone have any other ideas for wiring stuff I can do to it while I've got it apart? Or pointers to sites with ideas about bass wiring?

Answer: (submitted by Jazz Ad)

series/parallel switch is the best mod you can do on a JazzBass.
    Unfortunately, it can't be achieved with a push-pull pot. You need 3 channels at least on the switch, and 3 channel push pull pots are almost as uncommon as 5 legged sheeps.

Replace the 2 volume setup by 1 volume+1 balance. You'll thank me.

If you never use the tone pot, get rid of it. Less is best when it comes to pasive electronics. If you only use it to full or 0, do like me and replace it by a switch. This is something great to do with a push pull.

A phase switch also brings interesting results.

Don't forget passive filters. 25 pF added between ground and volume ground pin prevents you from losing your highs when you turns down your volume pot.

Here is the way to wire a parallel/series switch.
    3 way switches come with 9 pins, 3x3 rows. I should look like this :

A : volume livepin
    B : link to C
    C : link to B
    D : neck PU livepin
    E : neck PU ground
    F : bridge PU livepin
    G : balance livepin1
    H : ground
    I : balance livepin2

Remember the most important thing for passive wirings : don't chain grounds, or they will act like an antenna. Daisy chains (star circuit) rule. Best place to put the daisy is the volume pot shield.

Note that a very good shielding (copper foil around PUs, conductive paint in all cavities, shielded wires, can dispense you of the bridge ground. It's highly recommended with single coils, still.

Jazz Ad's daily tip :
    If you have a P-Bass or MM type pickup, ground the upper pickup screw. This way, you'll preserve you grounding by simply anchoring your thumb onto the screw.

As you're on it, replace all your wood screws with inserts and mechanical screws. You'll keep you body intact for years, even after 10 pickup changes.
  8. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Is it possible to do it on a Deluxe model (Humbucking p/ups and active electronics)?