Is it possible to get that Chris Squire growl out of my Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 10, 2004.

1. I have been listening to "Long Distance Runaround" and am craving that tone and growl that Chris Squire coaxes out of his Ric. I know it's like asking a dog to meow but is it possible to get my Jazz to growl like his Ric? The Jazz has an alder body, graphite neck, and roundwounds. The pickups are Dimarzios and I can have each pickup in series or parallel seperately. My amp is solid state little Peavey Basic 112.

Could I do it with something like a Behringer V-Amp?
  2. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Yes, slam on it with a pick. :cool:
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Sure you can. ;) Actually Chris has used a Jazz from time to time ("Sweet Dreams" is a Jazz.)
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You bet you can! As Keb stated, Chris used his Jazz quite a bit. I think it was used extensively on 'The Ladder'. String it up with some Rotos, grab a heavy gauge pick, lower it's action, and experiment with the volume and tone controls. Marshall, Vox, or Sunn amps are optional. :D

Keb, I could be wrong but I thought when 'Sweet Dreams' was recorded ('Time and a Word'?), Chris used a Precision along with his trusty Rick. I think his Jazz is an early 70's model. :confused:

If you've found a site that details which of his basses were used on which songs, please pass it on! :cool:
  5. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    yes you can. I'm using a Fender Jazz through a Marshall 1x15 and month and a half old DR- high Beams and a pick and my drummer (of all members) was the first to notice that it sounded exactly just like Siberian Khatru. I'm really happy that my band mates said it sounded like that song without me asking them if it did. :hyper:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jazz basses have "growl" and Ricks "Clank" !! Get it right, Vince!!

7. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im not sure about the bass used on the recording... but live he normally uses a jazz... the 76 tour and this year he played it on that song live.

I was under the impression Time and a Word was recorded entirely on the rick?
  8. To really nail it you'll need an old Maestro Bass Brassmaster pedal. It would also be very helpful to have Eddie Offord in the studio w/you tweaking your sound(s) :D
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ... Don't know about that but to my ear that sound is fairly clean but quite trebly' A Badass bridge on that J will help you get to the piano bass sound. That Peavey isn't going to cut the mustard at any sort of volume though...
  10. Yes.

Consider (Rotosound) roundwounds strings
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Solo the bridge pickup, crank the treble, and don't forget yer pick!--da dagada da daga da daga da da!