Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to get Warwick growl with Jazz tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jul 8, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I'm a little confused at the moment. I thought I had found the perfect bass, but I didn't. I find the highs annoying (specific humbucker sound > Bartolini...the older Warwicks Streamer Stage I from 1991) but the lows great.

I just need a nice growl with the tone or attack from for instance the Fender Jazz (not that it should be a Fender though).... with a good passive tone! I love it and I am not very pleased with my new piece of wood unfortunately.

Anyone suggestions... around 2000 euro? (or dollars)

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    slap some MEC pickups in. Other people would say that you'd also need the wenge/ovangkol combination, but the MEC pickups in my SX sounds pretty growly.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    save another 300€ and buy a thumb (2300€ europe preice), the streamer S1 doesnt have that growl because of the maple neck.

4. You can pretty close to that sound with an FNA Jazzman. You just split the coil on the humbucker and run the bass in passive (or set the controls flat and roll off some of the highs). There really aren't very many sounds that the Jazzman can't get. They cost about the same as a Thumb bass but are way more flexible. Better balanced too! Don't anybody get me wrong though, Thumbs are awesome and I have one of those too.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the p-ups play a big role with the Warwick signature sound along with the Wenge.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

WRONG FNA jazzman line its around 800€ below the thumb price (in europe, i dont know the exact amount in america but you can comapre prices here www.basscentral.com)

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    With the mec pickups of the warwicks you get a clanky sound, but I like best the warm growl you can obtain with some barts or basslines on a thumb

8. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    The FNA Jazzman can't be run passive... I have a love hate relationship with mine, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I'm currently waxing it and putting on new strings so I guess that for tomorrow and sundays gig, I'll love it :)

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You can make a mod on the circuitry of the FNA to set it on pasive but you'll need external EQ to get the tone regulated and you'll have to drill a hole for another on/on switch

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think he was probably talking about the bolt-on Thumb, not the neck-through.

11. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Ah, I see. Cool!

BTW, how are you internal pots set, you know, the ones that control the bass boost and mid cut for the slap contour? I have mine set to minimum bass boost and mininum mid cut, because I think the sound get's to muddy on a noisy stage. What do you think?

12. I'm comparing the Thumb Bolt-on to the FNA Jazzman (standard, not special edition). Pricing in your region could very well be different but the two models should be comparable in price.

13. Hmmm. On my Jazzman all I have to do is pull the volume knob to get it to go passive. It's a standard model with no mods. Do a search here on the board, there were about four of us TBers that got these within a day of each other.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I dont own a FNA jazzman I played a friend's bass and I made the electric schemes for an aguilar obp 3 he instaled, I wired the series-paralel for both pickups and a series-paralel-1coil for the humbucker (2 on/on/on switches 1 for the jazz pickup pukp-on/series-with-hum/paralel-with-hum and one for the hum one-coil/series-coils/paralel-coils). This schemes were easy to make i just took the original scheme for a bartolini MM hum and 1 idea that i was trying to put on a j-MM bass.

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I was talking about thumb neck-trough, Thumb bolt-on is ugly..

16. Yeah. They look so much different from the front...

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

The trick is to take a photo of the bass with a 25degree angle so you cant completely see the cutaways

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Warwick sounds like it would fit the bill, they hav some very aggressive sounding basses.

19. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Strange, on my Jazzman pulling the volume control activates a slap-contour eq curve. It's got the standard MEC pickups and the standard basslines 3-band eq.

(BTW, just back from the gig. I loved my bass today :) )

20. Yeah, on mine, I can pull the volume knob out and then remove the battery and still amplify. Don't know what to say really. I wouldn't make this up. The serial number on mine indicates that it was made in January of '04. When was yours made?