1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it possible to get....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassninja7, Sep 15, 2008.

1. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    an 8 ohm cab wired to 4?

i want the most outta my head, right now im getting about 250ish (450w@4omhs)

the cab is 700 handling with 300rms

also if i upgrade the head(provided i can get the cab to 4 omhs) what would be the best with out overpowering my speakers?

thanks all.

2. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    i think it would be cheaper/better to just get another 8 ohm cab

3. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

No...unless you replace the speaker...

See the sticky messages at the top of the forum for answers to all of these questions...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

And, yeah, you'd be better off just adding another 8ohm cabinet for a 4ohm total load.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Assuming you mean the cab is rated at 300 watts RMS it's exceedingly unlikely it can actually make use of more than 150 watts at best before farting out, so more power won't get you any more output anyway. If you can't get as loud as you want it with that amp you need to add another speaker.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

And, even if a single speaker can take 450w, you're not even doubling your power. That's less than a 3dB increase in volume.

Adding a second cab will get you 3dB automatically. Then the increased power output will help a little more.

Go back to the start: What problem are you trying to solve?

"I can't be heard"

This is either because a) The rest of the band is way too loud, or b) you need more volume.

If you need more volume, then the problem is "I need more volume." Not "I need more watts." The answer for more volume is not always wattage.

6. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    thanks to all!

i think im gunna add a 15:)

i was looking on ebay there's a ampeg 4 pro, and the guy posted:
    "The back of the amp says 1600 watts @ 4 ohms mono bridged. Minimum 2 ohms per channel. It doesn't list the per channel rating, but if you do the math it would equal 800 watts per channel at 2 ohms. This is more than the newer SVT 4 pro amps because they're only listed at 1200 watts bridged on the Ampeg website."

so if my 410 cab is rated at 700han and 300 rms what would be the best route for a 15 if i get the 4pro AND the best route if i stick with the head i have now?

thanks again!