1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to make a built in bright swtich on a jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Caramthros, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Im looking to ideally add a bright switch so I can switch between normal and somehow to brighter. Is this possible?

From what I know it will probs mean 2/3 capacitors of diff values but would it work?

2. Without adding a preamp or something like a Redeemer, you could: add a switch which removes the pots from the circuit or: switch in capacitors in series with the signal ala Rickenbacker, which actually reduces bass.

3. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Perhaps a series/parallel switch or a tapped pickup would be better.

Even better than that you could rig up a pre with a fixed treble boost, like G&L's have.

Then, you could set it up so you have the same volume between both sounds.

All the other options are going to leave you with less signal one way or the other.

4. You can't add energy in a passive circuit, you can only take it away or steal from other frequencies. What you want is an active midrange or treble boost circuit.

5. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    [QUOTE="Q";12769375]Perhaps a series/parallel switch or a tapped pickup would be better.

Even better than that you could rig up a pre with a fixed treble boost, like G&L's have.

Then, you could set it up so you have the same volume between both sounds.

All the other options are going to leave you with less signal one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

+1 to series/parallel switch. 5 bucks for the best DPDT switch, easy solder job.

6. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I like the Fender TBX tone control in passive basses.

Maybe something to consider.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Is it possible to make a built in bright swtich on a jazz?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install the j-retro preamp and it has that. Simply pull one of the knobs and you have treble boost.

8. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it would be a long shot but I'd ask.

I'm going to do the series/parallel conversion just waiting for the switch from eBay.

Using a pre amp is currently not an option as I have no money (the j-retro costs £70 more than what I paid for my bass) but may use it in the future. Liking the TBX circuit Acebase62, but I can't find a mini pot for for it, which is needed as my control cavity is packed already with other mods. I could re-do the arrangement and probs fit in. Should I get the TBX kit or is there another pot I could use for it, if so what?

Currently thinking about the capacitor switching to cut the bass rather than add treble like dmusic148 suggested. I found this thread while searching which uses three capacitors with a switch to choose them as its cheaper but the TBX is certainly another option.

9. There's another way you can do it with a DPDT On/On/On and two caps for bass cut/bass and treble cut/treble cut.

10. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    How exactly would I do that? I've got a rough idea.

Thinking 0.022 and 0.047 or poss 0.08, but I'll get several diff types and play about with them. Is there a schematic of how that would all go together?

11. Actually, come to think of it, bass cut/bypass/treble cut would be more useful.

I'll post diagrams for both tomorrow.

12. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Awesome. Thanks very much.

13. Quicker to just draw it on paper, if you don't mind the sloppiness.
    :hyper:

7185954399_5de61122d7_b.jpg

14. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Thanks.

Had a look around for finding another switch and its cheaper for me to get 10x 3 position DP3T than a single toggle. Could there be a similar set up for three capacitors or should I just use the same schematic?

15. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I'd say think about puttting an Audere JZ3 in it. Gave me a whole lot more tonal variety on my Squiir VM Jazz.

16. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Like I've said Andy D, money is an issue for now but I will definitely consider it in future.

17. DP3T switches are 4PDT On/On/On switches with external jumpers to create a DP3T switching pattern. There is no need for two poles to switch three capacitors. You just need a DPDT On/On/On jumpered to a SP3T switching pattern, with one capacitor on each throw.

18. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Thats what I was thinking, but its virtually all on/off/on on ebay. Honestly on eBay, I type in on/on/on and for a sp or dpdt on/on/on it costs £4 min whereas dp3t I can get 5 of these for under £3.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you created a high pass filter you could get a effect like bright switch. Cause it would eliminate a good portion of the bass content. Just letting treble thru uninpeeded.

20. Caramthros

Caramthros

May 26, 2012
    Think I will go with the three capacitor switching as I've just destroyed a video recorder and got all the capacitors and more that I need.

All I need now is to figure out which capacitors I want to use and then buy the switches (if someone could tell me if these switches are suitable). If that all works out was thinking of adding a tri-colour LED with three anodes to add to the other pole to indicate the selection as well.