1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to make a neck slimmer?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by makkE, Nov 6, 2010.

1. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Hello TB,
    I own a squier 50's CV Precision. I wonder if it would be possible at all to make the neck a bit slimmer. How much could be taken off? Or is it not possible at all? And what changes in tone would be expected?

2. I'd be too afraid of hitting the truss rod to try.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    If you are asking the experience luthiers here if it's possible - yes it is and yes we can.

If you are asking if you can make it slimmer - it's very risky for the above mentioned reasons and if you're asking I would recommend finding a skilled luthier.

4. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    You need to know type and thickness of the t-rod to establish how much wood can be shaved off.

Once that is done, you'll have to recreate the right feel which is so important for playability.

Finally, you have to decide what type of finish you're going to apply.

That should be pretty much it. Not a big deal for someone experienced. But there's quite a bit that can go wrong if you're not.

ps: no tone changes to be expected.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The guy who has done 99% of the work on my basses does it like this: He removes the neck, drills a TINY hole in the back where the neck-joint is, and does so very slowly so as to drive through the wood to the truss rod. Once he hits the truss, he measures how deep it is so he has an idea how much material can be safely removed. He told me he doesn't much like doing this sort of work - guitarists in the '80s were wild about paper thin necks, and guys would have him shave their BC Riches & Jacksons, only to find the necks breaking a few months later... So there is a structural integrity risk...

That said, I've done it on more than a few necks myself - and am fixing to do it again on Warmoth neck I just bought... A few MM here and there can make a big difference in feel...

6. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Spot on! Just 2mm makes a huge difference :bassist:

7. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Thank you all for answering. I will rather think of a replacement neck I guess.

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Check out a warmoth neck with a slim taper. Their necks are fairly cheap if you're going with a plain neck without stuff like block inlays and binding.

9. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    That's probably wise. Not to mention that, once you've got a spare one you could try the slimming neck thingy... ;)