Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to make an outboard tone knob?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 14, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have discovered something that is nice on occassion (and a reason I liked F basses pre's): a master tone knob after an active EQ.
    I play lots of different stuff and in one band I switch from reggae to funk in a second. When I had my modulus wired vvt, I could just roll the tone.
    Well, I can't do that with my Status. So I got to thinking and thought maybe I could wire up a gizmo that would be an outboard tone. Maybe even a pedal or a post preamp tone control. It could be a knob, maybe an on-off switch, maybe both. Where would I find a diagram or site on how to do this?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    here ya go. It's not a perfect pic, but this would make a good in-line tone control.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i think also you should attatch the ground side of the circuit to the case of the control pot

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    YOU ROCK!

I'll see how it works. Any suggestion on the Cap values? Or is there any sort of "formula" (like use xxx pot and xxx cap for more muffle) or is it the same as all guitar electronics?

And what if I wanted to do a 2 way switch like "tone on/off" instead of a knob? Or a switch on-off for the tone system thingee to be created?

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A good idea could be to change one of your knobs to add a push pull tone switch.
    No change in aesthetics, no hole to drill.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you could use a .022K capacitor. The Higher the value, the more treble it rolls off. This would make a good small outboard tone conrol to hook in-line with your bass. That way there are no modifications to your bass.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm definitely not adding any holes to my bass. As a matter of fact, I am not looking to do ANYTHING to any part of the bass. I'm keeping the Pre as it is.

If I were do do this, I would try 3 different methods:
    1) Pedal - a tone stompbox. I could find a bad pedal and gut it, then install the tone stuff.
    2) Clip on - Like a sadowsky pre, no mods to a bass and it isn't a pedal.
    3) Make it the jack- I could cut one end of a cable. I'd build a small, long box (about the size and shape of a 9V battery). It would be like a right angle plug. The plug would be going straight to the tone knob and the out would be the cable. It would plug straight into the bass, no chain needed. I could add a switch as well for bypass.
    The question is where do I find this box? It would have to be durable and able to be drilled into. Any suggestions?

8. how is your status wired and is it low impedence out put ie active?
    if not then a 250k pot with a 047 cap is standard cut tone settings....the little diagram looks great with of course a ground to the body..where you fit it is probably better as close to the bass as you can..see next frame
    if you have an active output you may need 25k and 104 cap as emg use..similar wiring just different signal characteristics...what eq is on your bass anyway...?

9. the tone pot wired as it would be on a passive or active tone cut bass..