1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to mod an MXR Bass di+?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emjazz, Dec 1, 2006.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just picked up the MXR Bass DI+. It seems to be a great little pedal but I notice now that the distortion channel has some sort of mid scoop built in. Is it possible to bypass this and just have the eq on the pedal dictate what the eq is set to when you click the distortion channel on? It would be a very useful distortion with a low setting if I could have it modded that way. Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't popped one of those open, but there are a few different possible causes for that mid scoop. It is possible that the frequency emphasis of the distortion circuit could be adjusted by replacing one or two small components. However it is probable that the way the circuit is designed, it doesn't have a separate "hidden, built-in EQ" that can be bypassed per se.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's a real shame that the distortion section isn't sharing the eq from the other part of the pedal. It sounds to me like it shares the same eq as the "color" button gives you, only all the time.

4. If I remember the manual for mine right, it does automatically engage the color switch whenever the distortion is on (it does, as I'm sure you know, share the three eq knobs with the clean section, just not the setting of the color switch). I'd be willing to bet that's just how the circuit is designed. Maybe it can be bypassed, but I'd expect that mod to be quite tricky.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If that's indeed true, that it engages the color option, than it's a poor decision in design. It seems to me to make more sense to have the color button selectable for both the eq and the distortion.

6. Agreed. Seems like they should have given the player that option.

Of course, who knows? Maybe they tried it and the distortion just sounds all kinds of terrible without that switch engaged!

7. It does automatically engage the color button when the distortion in switched on. I agree that it should be the user's choice. If anyone figures out a way to correct this, post it here. Other then this, it's a great pedal !

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I used the MXR live last night with great results. I love the eq points. I'm going to take the pedal to a guy nearby who can take a look inside and tell me if he can mod it or not. I did use the overdrive once but I had to change the eq settings to do so. That's a drag. I'd rather just switch on the overdrive and have it match the setting that I already have. Otherwise, if the overdrive had it's own eq it would work.

9. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    yes, this is how it works.
    let us know if any mod is possible, I'm planning to buy one in the future.

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I agree, this is a major fault with this pedal. The user should have the option of the color button to be turned on or off as they see fit.
    I never use the distortion channel due to this reason. I simply don't like the tone.

11. Well guys, Maybe I´m wrong but I think that the color switch is desengaged when you step on the distortion. Am I wrong?

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If I remember the MXR M-80 manual correctly... yep, you're wrong.

As a test, lower the gain enough so that the sound is clean on the distortion channel (drop the gain, raise the level). You'll hear the "color" :p

I remember reading a thread a few months back in which someone did that so they could have colored and non-colored clean sounds available.

13. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    emjazz,

FYI: I went through some e-mail and found this that may be useful- these are the EQ points:

Bass Control +/- Shelf @ 60Hz, 6dB/Octave
    Mid Control +/- @ 850 Hz
    Treble Control +/- @ 4KHz, 6dB/Octave
    When I asked about the "color" switch, all I got in response was "The color switch is optimized for the Bass frequencies.".

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

This is great info! Thanks. I was very curious about the frequencies for the eq. I really like where they are.

16. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Some really great sounds(especially overdrive/distortion)can be achieved by hooking up 2 M-80's together.You can set a good clean EQ and then set the other pedal for your distortion and set the EQ to work well with the clean sound.At one point I had 2 of these and it was alot of fun.Being that they are popping up on the used market pretty cheap it might be an option for you.....

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    fdeck had used some frequency analysis software to find the GK Backline 600's true flat response settings.

One of us could use that same software and compare the M-80's output with the color switch on and off.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/

It's in his signature, too.