Is it possible to network Mac and Windows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Oct 19, 2003.

1. I have broadband now, and I want to share it with my sister (who is living in the same house).

I have a Mac, running OS 9.2, she has a PC running Windows 98.

Is it possible to, first, network them, then second, share my broadband connection?

Then..... erm, how would I do it?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    There are many ways....

Easiest is to go to an office supply store or online vender and get a DSL/Cable Gateway Router.

plug each machine to it via cat5 cable and then it to your broadband modem.

There are software solutions too... but you would need to have the one machine on if the other wanted to surf.

to install on MacOS classic to share Broadband with Windows

To install on Windows to share Broadband with a Mac

But with a software router... you still need to run cable and a hub. I can get a 4 port Broadband Router for $50 US or less... the regular hub is a few bucks cheaper but the software costs a bit on top of it.

I've used both pieces of software prior to Hardware broadband gateways being an affordable solution.
  3. Try this, it's what google told me:

I didn't really read through this, try googling this yourself. :)
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    To simply share the internet, get a router, plug the modem and the computers into the router, do whatever you need to do individually on each computer, and each will have internet.

cost us $100 for a pretty nice router/switch but I think they can be got for as low as $60

Right now my brother is listening to my iTunes playlist from his PC, no file transfer involved, just streaming over our network, which is a cable connection into a router.
  5. Errrr, I guess I should have said.... It's not cable broadband, it's ADSL, and the modem I have only has USB outs.

The stuff Speddling suggested looks good, I'll have to try it.

6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd recommend a Linksys router - we've used the same one for our old ADSL and new cablemodem connections.

You may need to buy another ADSL modem with ethernet options, if yours only has USB outs. :(

Side note: My wife and I never felt like bothering with actually networking her PC to my Mac, save to share the internet connection. We found that for those rare occasions where we wanted to move files back and forth, AOL instant messenger will actually keep the transfer on the local network, rather than sending it out into the ether and back. Works like a charm...