Is it possible to partially lose your voice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Alright. I know this sounds weird. But last night we were at a restraunt where there was a lot of smoke. And i started to notice my voice feeling wierd, so i started drinking more liquids. When i got home I told my dad and he said that i sounded a little weird, and just told me to drink alot of liquids. So i did. And when i woke up today, i guess i sound fine and can talk, but my voice still feels dry or something. I'm drinking a lot of liquid and i guess my voice might be a little weaker (but i'm probably just paranoid). Any tips or something for a dry feeling throat?

P.S. Can someone find the wikipedia article on losing your voice? I know they have one, I just don't know what it would be named under. Thanks.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Just liquids, if you don't live in a household with smokers or aren't around smokers very often then it's not surprising that your throat becomes irritated, what with 2nd hand smoke and all.

Hot beverages like tea are good things for irritated throats, I wouldn't worry too much though, especially if it's gotten better since last night. Your body probably isn't used to the toxins you inhaled so the effects are more noticable and prolonged.
  3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Drink water, thats what I do. If I start to lose my voice, I drink LOTS of water
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Lots of fluids, prefereable not too cold or too hot. Avoid sugars, as they can irritate. Avoid caffeine, as it can dry. Rest your voice as much as is practical (don't sing, or talk more than necessary). DON'T WHISPER - you'll do more damage.
  5. Thanks Guys, especially pacman and Against Will, thanks, I found those posts interesting.
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    When I was in college (many moons ago...) I got one of the worst cold/flu's of my life and had a sore throat/laryngitis/lost my voice for over a month, and it has never really fully recovered (over 15 years later!!). Here's hoping it never happens to anyone else, luckily I could never sing, so the worlk is better off for it.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    What Pacman said is spot on. Vocal rest and lots of water will bring it back... The more of both, the better off you'll be.

I'd also add that anything OTC for sore-throat relief will dry you out more and make it worse so stay away from the chloroseptic sprays and all cough drops.

Big Joe, MS CCC-SLP
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you it seems like there's mucus involved then take some Mucinex. A lot of times you'll lose your voice because of mucus on your vocal cords and the mucinex will help get that out of there. Suck on some lozenges when you're not drinking something.

brad cook
  9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Mucinex, which I believe is only available as a prescription, will help with excessive secretions, but it also has a tendency to overdry as well which will be more damaging to the cords than mucous alone. Excessive clearing of your throat is bad for you because it causes the vocal cords to slam together so in a sense, mucous can have a detrimental effect on your voice. Increasing fluid intake will help to thin out secretions and make them more easily managed. It also helps to keep the cords moist and free flowing as they need to be for good voice. Instead of coughing it up and constantly clearing your throat, a good effortful swallow will help to clear anything thta is resting on top of the cords and is much less harmful to them.

As for lozenges and throat drops, they are filled with menthol or sugar or both and are likely to have a drying effect. When the cords are dried out it's like dropping the oil out of your car and trying to drive it: Not good for the engine because of too much rubbing and friction.

-Big Joe MS CCC-SLP :cool:
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Mucinex is over the counter now.

That's the advice that was given to me by my doctor when I lost my voice due to mucus related stuff.

brad cook
  11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Glad it worked for you. I don't think Mucinex is the answer for most voice issues and particularly not in paniak's case. Just my two cents.;)
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The other thing to watch out with (especially with Cloraseptic) is that your throat will feel better, which could cause you to further damage your pipes if you try to sing.
  13. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    My acting coach in school said that honey will help if you're losing your voice, as well as sucking on a lemon. Not that I've ever needed to try any of those, but some other students used both, apparently with good results.
  14. Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    Yes Just say "I Do" :bag:
  15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I like to put a squirt of pure lemon juice into my water when my throat is going funny. Not only does it help your throat, it makes water a lot easier to drink (if you're not a water person). I can't comment on whether or not it'll dry things out, but it's been the advice of voice teachers for years (some have even recommended drinking straight lemon juice), so there has to be some merit.

16. lol!

my buddy drinks some crazy soup onstage during his shows becuase the band's performance is quite demanding.
    try googling throat remedy soup 8)
  17. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Time, rest, fluids.