Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to Phantom power my bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I am using Peavey Cirrus fretless 6 and 5 string.

But I wonder if I can feed the basses with phantom power?

2. Im pretty sure thats possible. I dont know how the battery is connected into the preamp but I guess you would just join the terminals and then build a little box with 2 jack sockets and a battery between the two of them. Just a guess. Or do you mean powered from the desk?

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    A friend of mine added a little mini switch toggle and a battery adaptor outlet to his EMG loaded guitar... when he switches the toggle, he can feed the pickups with a standard effect pedal adaptor! :)

4. Yeah, I want to feed my bass with a little box adapter.

but its 2 9 volts batteries.
    still possible?

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Yes, it is! You'll just need an 18 volt adapter for that.

I'm sorry that i cannot give you more help, i'm a bit too tired to concentrate rigth now! (damn fretless, couldnt stop playing it this nigth :hyper: ) :)

6. But what if the batteries are wired in paralell?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If the batteries are wired in parallel, that's 9 volts. Some people wire them that way to get more longevity between battery changes.

8. And if they are not?

I will notice in low signal out?

Is it bad to example feed it with 12 volts?
    or 9?

9. It had been even better to just have a device that sends power thru the chord plugged in to the bass. I think thats called phantom power. Is it possible?

10. I read the Manual of the HD350 EBS. There I saw it had Phantom for bass. (But only 9 volts).

It says that you have to take away the batteries and strap + and - pole.

I am getting closer in this question.
    Soon I am hoping to never think about batteries again. Just plug my chord into some kind of box and play. :hyper:

11. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well... i'm not really into feeding 9v trough your instrument cable, though ;).

If i were really tired of switching batteries often, i'd rather make room for 4-6 9v's inside my bass (wired in paralell)... then i could play 4-6 times longer before switching batteries!

...then again, i am a VERY wierd person! :D

12. Isn't that possible?

13. The Variax Bass gets powered like this.

14. Can I use the DI box that comes with Line 6 Variax Bass to phantom power my bass?

It can phantom power the variax bass.

It seems like noone answering my questions :(
    But this is so big, think of not be worried about batteries again

15. I don't think you can use the variax box with just any bass. As I understand it, it uses a stereo plug to send the power. You would need to rewire your bass to work with it. Some basses (like those which have stereo output) may not be able to be converted. Not unless you changed them to be mono only.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Why does this thread remind me so of when I tried that?
    :help:
    Cool thing was, I got it to work :smug: I bet you wanna know how!
    I had a power outlet on the back of my amp... I put an adapter into it to step it down from 120V to 9V (at the time had a Peavey RSB bass that was 9V). These can be had at any wal*mart really. Some adjustables ones are out there too... but I don't think any of them go up to 18V. Anyhoo, I digress.
    So I plugged in my adapter, and since it was DC, everything was cool, no need to worry about putting AC power into the bass and murdering it. What I did then was rather stupid, but hey it worked. I made my own instrument cable! Instead of the typical two wires in it for the signal though, I had my two power wires run through it as well. Each pair of wires had it's own insulation on it, and then I wrapped the entire thing in el;electrical tape, then ran it through a heavier-gauged covering (didn't fit perfectly, but it worked fine for years!).
    On each end of the cable, I had a 9V battery clip. On the end of the adapter I also fitted a 9V battery clip. At the bass end, I took my 9V clip, cut it off from the wiring inside and extended it through two little holes to the outside of the control cavity cover. I mounted it with super glue.
    The cable had the 1/4" connector, then prolly 6-8" of wire for the power cables also sticking out on each end, so that they can reach the plugs and not be strained.
    I had a half of a thought to patent this idea and attempt to market it, but that never boiled into anything. Lazyness on my behalf. :rolleyes:.
    Anyway, I used that for prolly 3 or 4 years and never had a failure or anything. Not worrying about batteries, and also not worrying about leaving the instrument plugged in was cool IMO. Not that I ever "worried" about that, just when it happened the obliguatory "OH SH--" would slip :p.
    Anyway, if you want me to build you something like this, just lemme know, I can easily do it once again. All I need to know is if you 9V or 18V, and how long you want it to be. Feel free to PM, IM, or e-mail me.

-Ray

17. Because the batter minus IS the earth...you should try this instead.

Why not just wire an additional 9V battery lead inside your bass to a stereo jack and then use a stereo cable (make it from a microphone cable by replacing the DIN ends with stereo plugs.)...on the amp end, make a nice little box that receives the stereo cable from the bass on one side and sends a regular unbalanced patch cable out the other and then have a plug to receive a 9V input from an AC "wall wart" adaptor. Quite Simple and Easily reversable, too.

This would be a much neater solution that the one you're suggesting...although, electronically identical.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I did dabble with this idea. I didn't want to do it simply because of the closeness of all the wires, and how none are seperated them - I didn't want to be frying anything, or seeing sparks from wires crossing. Either way does work, though.

-Ray

19. Nice ideas but I really want to feed it thru my cable directly. As you can do with EBS, they have phantom on their amps for basses.

I can't understand why there isn't any products for this?!
    It's so stupid with batteries. Why can't anyone build a box for phantom feeding?

To you Peavey Cirrus owners:

Do you know if the batteries will give 18 volt or 9 volt?
    (Are they wired paralell or in series?)

Thank you

20. most, not all, onboard preamps on guitars are extremely low power and battery life is generally in the order of 100s of hours of operations. Because of this, coupled with the standard of using unbalanced signal cables, this is not a standard.

I'm looking for the next step which is balanced-output basses, with phantom power options. Of course, you can do anything you want now days, it really isn't that hard. And quite simple to have it done by any music shoppe techie for sure.