Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to put a whammy bar on a bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by duo8675309, Nov 7, 2005.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Is it? I don't know much about the innards of the bass guitar and things, but that would be awesome if you could. Even if you didn't use it, just to say you have it would be cool. Here's an artist's rendition:

[​IMG]

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Yeah, there is absolutely nothing special about guitar or missing on bass, besides usefulness, that would makes them not work on bass. Les Claypol has one and uses it, but since you can bend strings yourself on bass, where as on guitar it’s harder because of chords, they aren’t popular.

Here’s the only company I know that makes one, and probably all you need.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/5stringtremolo.htm

I will add that I have a de-turner on my four string and love it, so check out those as well.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    wouldn't that kill off your tone and sustain?

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It will be cheaper to just buy a Digitech Whammy. And it won't be a one trick pony.

5. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got one on one of my basses and I absolutely love it. They don't kill off your tone and sustain whatsoever, and when they're set up correctly (which isn't easy...take it to a luthier to get it done), they're a lot of fun. Just don't overdo it.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You can bend notes down on your bass? Impressive.