Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to Remove the amp portion of a Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    More specifically...I want to know, can I remove the MH-600 portion of the Eden Metro Combo and make it into two components, the MH-600 and the D210XLT, so I have more flexibility. Eden just came out with the MH-600, so I could get a roadcase that would fit with little doubt, but how would Cabinet end up looking? Can I even do this? Perhaps with some modifications from my local luthier. Has anyone had any luck doing this with the Metro? Or ANY COMBO AMP? I just want to know if this is a commonly done or has been done succesfully in the past.

You may wonder, "Why not just buy the MH-600?" Because if I buy it brand new it may end up costing me upwards of like $700-$900. I can buy a Used Metro Combo for $700, and I get an extra Cab out of it to play for smaller gigs. So what do you guys think? Can it be done? :confused:

2. I'm not familiar with the amp in question. But, generally, I would say the answer would be, 'Yes'.

As a combo, the amp section would have it's own place in the cab so, in theory, all you'd have to do is remove the electronics and make another separate box for them to live in. Now, of course, that's far easier said than done. And I'm sure you'd be looking at loads of work. First to make sure the amp box looks OK and second, to make sure that all electrical considerations are taken into account.

I'd certainly think twice - 10 times :eek: - before I'd attempt such a thing. On balance I'd probably not do it....and that comes from an electronics techie.

John

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes! I did it to mine. A Fender BXR200 combo amp. The amp section quit on me so I removed it and converted the speaker cab section to a legit speaker cab by installing a banana plug connection panel. It was easy to get out. Just removed a few screws, disconnected the wire to the speaker and I was done. Took no more than 10 minutes! It's cool because the speaker is a 4ohm'r so I can pump some wattage into her!

4. on my cravin pb 100 15 inch combo u can take the head out. it's kinda like a head put in to a cab.but not really,it doesnt have a top or side or rack mouts.

u connect the amp to the cab with a speaker cable like any othere head and cab setup so i figure hell iam getting a new head ill take it out and rack mout them so i have more gear at my finger tips lol. when i took the head out of the combo i saw it didnt have a top or two side,so i took it to my school and made a top and side out of metal in my shop. it all depends on the way the head was made. i was luckey and could make metal parts at my school.

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i checked this out on my laney hmc65b. I moved the head about a wee bit and saw two small wires going down to the speaker, so i decided to just leave it, i knew to get the head out id hafta cut the wires, and seeing as i only have one amp, im not ready to break it.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think you'll have to cut the wires. I had the same deal on mine. The wires just slide onto 2 posts on the bottom of the amp section. Just slide them off.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ohhh really? god, im away to get a screw driver, loverly, thanks for that info.

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have done this a hanfull of times to combo amps and its no big deal. Just make a nice looking box to put the head in and you may have to put a 1/4 inch jack in the cab but thats it. All the ones I have done the wires just slipped off of the 2 posts in the head section.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So I guess the majority consensus is that it can be done. I talked to a local luthier told me that he could do it. He didn't tell me how much until I got the amp in front of him, but he said he's pretty sure it CAN BE DONE. Cool deal guys, thanks.

10. i had this idea i would collect diffent heads from combos and diffent heads that are like 50 watts or 100 watts. and just put them in to a big ack and figure out a way i could swicth between them with out unpluging.