1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to Reverse Engineer Jaco, Geddy, Niels Sounds from Records by Impulse Response ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Hello there,

Is it possible to use impulse response method from a music record to simulate the famous guitar sounds or does it depends to impulse recording from original guitar and gear ?

If first is true , which software gives me the impulse response of geddy exit stage left IR ?

Umut
    Istanbul

2. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    i dont know if there's a software out there that can do that but the kemper can
    Axe fx too, but it's just an eq match

3. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    There are so many variables that determine the final tone, strings, pickups, the instrument used, pick or finger nails / callouses, musician's technique, recording technique, room influence, microphones, processing, tape printing /compression levels, EQ on mixdown and mastering etc., that it is simplistic to think that the end result can be easily reproduced by analyzing the final product.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    But there is no other way , I am not geddy , I am not playing to 100 000 people , I havent his amps , strings , bass , technique but there is the record and there is the IR method . Its not simple , you can emulate the sound of berlin philharmony hall without building it. Its not a simple thought , believe me.

5. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I don't think what you want to do is possible. In your Berlin Philharmonic Hall example, you are are taking the impulse response of a room. This can be done by going into that room and popping a balloon and recording the results with microphones (this is one example of how to do this). You then have a recording of how that space reacts to an impulse, the theoretical simplest "signal" that can be fed into the "system" - in this case the system is the concert hall. You can then with that impulse response simulate an instrument/voice performing in that concert hall by taking a dry recording of that instrument (your signal in this case) and convolving it with the IR of the concert hall, which simulates running that signal (dry instrument/voice) through that system (concert hall).

The theoretical closest thing to do if someone has a bass rig you love would be to feed an electrical pulse (impulse) into the rig and get an IR of the result. Still in this case you wouldn't be accounting for the bass or the player's style/touch, which are obviously huge factors. Unless there's some insane tech I'm unaware of there's no way to do this even if you had an isolated recording of just Geddy's bass from Exit Stage Left, and there's definitely no way to do it with the normal full mix.

I do agree that Geddy's tone is great an enviable though.

6. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    ok, i misunderstood the original question, i thought op wanted to profile a rig.
    you can however use an amp sim based on the gear you want and use ozone or a similar plugin to match the eq from an isolated track.
    that's how the axe fx (at least before the III came out) works for amp profiling