1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it possible to string the Fender bass with body thru without the ferrules?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaine, Feb 8, 2019.

1. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    I was about to get a used Fender American Standard Precision 2012 bass, however i noticed the string ferrules are missing.

Is it still possible to use the body thru stringing feature, without ferrules as shown in the picture? The original built holes are there, but no string ferrules as you see.

ferruless.

Also i wonder does body thru string feature really makes a noticible difference?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I am not totally sure if you can but you can find them new for pretty cheap.

3. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Not in my country (Turkey) unfortunately, they dont sell here. You cant even find a decent pickguard for a precision bass in Istanbul. Otherwise i wouldnt mind at all.

4. Better get some ferrules. Without, over time sustained string tension will pull the ball ends into the wood itself, and once that happens changing strings becomes an ordeal.

MCF, macmanlou, Malak the Mad and 2 others like this.
  5. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Cant get them online as well. I got this text when i tried them to order online..

We are quite disappointed with Fender for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice. Please consider products of a different manufacturer or switch to another delivery country

6. Washers from the hardware store, then. Bring an E string along to size the center hole in the washer. Measure the diameter of the ferrule hole to size the outside of the washer. You want something that will countersink a little bit into the hole, yet not so deeply that it runs far into the taper.

Paulabass, wraub, jackn1202 and 11 others like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup, I'd imagine this should work quite well. :thumbsup:

Hard to believe there isn't some aftermarket parts maker that makes ferrules that would ship to you though. Might just take a bit of searching - doesn't have to be an authentic Fender part as long as it's correctly sized.

skaine likes this.
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ah, just saw this. IMO no.

I have the option to string through-body on my 2014 Precision and I currently have it strung through-bridge, as I prefer the less intense break angle over the saddles.

When I was in the market for a Precision, having that option (through-bridge) was one of my mandatories.

skaine and jd56hawk like this.
  9. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    You can get them from Thomann in Germany.
    Fender String Ferrules Bass – Thomann UK

MCF, macmanlou, Amano and 1 other person like this.
  10. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    My Ltd D4, bridge vs. body, no perceived difference.

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Try here....string ferrules

And here....Hipshot® Bass String Ferrule

Both companies should be able to ship these out to you without a hassle. Don't string it up without them. The ball ends will keep pulling into the wood, you'll never stay in tune and eventually you'll need to do surgery to get a stuck ball out.
    Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    skaine, MCF, Malak the Mad and 2 others like this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I didn't go through the body on this...totally unnecessary.
    Still plenty of sustain.
    20190209-121429.

Plake likes this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    That bass was designed with ferrules for a reason. Taking a shortcut by bypassing them is just faulty logic. Get some ferrules or use the top-load option; any other option adds risk.

Gunga Din likes this.
  14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    One of my first bases was a Telecaster bass. I played it for years without ferrules in the body. It was fine. However, you should look to find replacement ferrules.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    There is this big area of hardware stores in Istanbul; not too far from Galata Tower. I'd be surprised if you couldn't turn up something useable there.

skaine likes this.
  16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No difference in what you hear at all.

TrustRod likes this.
  17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  18. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I had a bass with both options and I found that the top load had a little better tone and seemed more responsive tension wise. The through body option added a little more tension and supposedly more sustain but I noticed some high end bite was taken out. Also no real difference in sustain.

19. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I always prefer to top load, even when there was STB capability … but then, I am always using flats, use strings that the length fits better top loaded, and more 'sustain' to me on a bass makes absolutely no sense, much less a 'benefit' … I try to be ultra conscious of my muting techniques, and not afraid to stick a hunk of foam under the strings when I think the situation asks to …

For the OP, I would certainly make it aware to the buyer that the ferrules are missing, and maybe even negotiate on the matter if they are hard to come by, but unless the length of your 'string of choice' favors being STB, I would just top load …

JMHO … as always ;)

Lobster11 likes this.
  20. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I would just string it through the bridge, I highly doubt you’ll notice a difference.

Lobster11 likes this.