1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it possible to use a head on a combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DasMo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. DasMo

DasMo

May 1, 2008
    Hi,
    I would like to ask if it's possible to plug my GallienKrueger 1001RB II Head in my Warwick Blue Cab 30 to play at very low volumes?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Possible, but not advisable.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your combo has a 10" speaker thats probably only rated to handle somewhere around the combos rated 30 watts of power. A speaker input jack could be wired into the combo speaker but turning your GK's volume knob just an extra 1/10 of an inch could easly destroy this speaker in seconds.

Your combo seems to have an effects loop so... if you want more of the GK tone, the logical solution here would be to simply connect you GK's effects send jack to your combos effects return jack with a regular guitar type cord. (its safe to have no speaker connected to the solid-state GK) This would be using the GK's preamp/tone-knobs to drive the combos poweramp and speaker that are much beter designed to be working together.

4. DasMo

DasMo

May 1, 2008
    Thanks for the hint with the effects send and return. It actually worked without any complcations :D

PS: Love this Forum :D