Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to use an amp w/o lineouts as a preamp, then send that to a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 29, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    long winded question :)

I've got my hands on an extremely nice sounding Sunn amp (Sceptre, works well with bass i'm finding). Is there any way I could use this as a pre-amp.. get all of the good Sunn sound, and then direct that out to my poweramp?

The sunn doesn't have any line outs. It has two seperate outputs for 4 ohms or 8 ohms.

Any suggestions? This Sunn sounds extremely nice (old skool kt88 tubes, awesome reverb, etc), and I'd like to try using it 'loud'.

2. A DI Box that has a speaker load input.

The Behringer Ultra DI 100 comes to mind.
    Lists for $79 but can be had at zZounds for $29.

• Gold-plated XLR and 1/4" input/output jacks (XLR balanced)
    • Direct connection of amplifier outputs with up to 3,000 Watts.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The DI box is the right idea. Just remember that you will have to hook the Sunn up to a speaker or dummy load. Running a tube power amp without an appropriate load will blow up the output transformer. Trust me, you don't want to do that.

So your circuit will be:
    Sunn->speaker out->DI ...
    ... DI->balanced out->pwr amp
    '->unbalanced out->speaker

The DI you choose should have parallel balanced and unbalanced outputs, handle speaker level outputs, and be switchable to line level output on the balanced output jack.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    The line-out on my Fender M-80 combo is just a paralled speaker output, choked down with a bunch of resistance. I had the head out of the cabinet one day and nearly flipped when I saw that. I didn't know it was possible. I wouldn't recommend anyone try to rig up such an output unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I did notice that when lined out at a gig once, I affected my volume through the mains when I turned my amp up a bit for more stage volume.

Seems weird huh?

Is that a common practice in cheaper amps?

K