Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible to use LSR precision tuners on a bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr M, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Is it possible to use LSR precision tuners on a bass guitar? What do you think about it?
    You can check those tuners at:
    http://members.aol.com/intertunei/LSR.tuners/

I e-mailed them some times ago and they replied that maybe I can make the holes of those tuners bigger and use them but they don't guarantee they will work.

Why am I trying to use them? Because I need very little tuners to keep the headstock small (of the 6 string bass that I'm planning to build)

I've thought about using those as well but the same problem with string gauge applies here as well.

Do you know other machine heads which are smaller than the GOTOHs? Where can I get them online?

Thanks

2. First, I don't think you're going to gain all that much space saving with these tuners (the first set). There is only a small range of location available when these parameters are used for determining tuner location -string spacing, proper spacing from the edge of the headstock, and maintenance of a straight string pull. It's not like you can just push the tuners together to save space since that will necessitate pulling the string at an angle across the nut. You really should try drawing out your headstock design on the computer in scale using the tuner dimensions to see exactly what is possible.

The second set of tuners is interesting because they are straight from key to post. This might allow for a different, space saving, mounting angle - perhaps like a banjo.

In either case you will be enlarging the holes on some of the tuners by 2x for the larger gauges. That in itself will be an iffy proposition if there isn't enough material left on the post to actually work with the diameter of string.

Also, and despite what the manufacturer has claimed, the tight angle your larger gauge strings will be required to bend will likely snap them like a pair of diagonal cutters. Though I don't exactly know how these things work, I can assure you that if they are round, and turn, they require bending the string somewhere to get tension.

And finally, with a 40:1 ratio - double that of the best bass tuners, it's going to take more twists of the key than you're likely to enjoy making just to bring to tune.

But there's no problem with trying. You might just discover something new for all of us. I think, however, that the $90 is pretty steep to find out it won't work.

3. If the goal is locking tuners Sperzel makes some. Otherwise I agree with Hambone, to much money with a high chance of it not working

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The LSR site claims:
    "Accomodates String Guages from .000 to .060".
    Most E strings range from .095 to .110.