Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it possible two wire 2x15 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i was wondering, i have some old areosmith style PA cabs, with jbl 15's in them. I like the sound, but one problem. There about 30 inches wide, about 3 and 1/2 feet tall, and weigh about 90 pounds. Needless to say, there not very portable. But the 15's are in awsome shape, and handle a ton, and I'd like to make a project (cab) out of them. But my amp can only take another 8 ohm load with my goliath jr. is it possible to wire them to 8 ohms?
    btw, i haven't taken out the speakers, but I'm pretty sure there 8 ohms each. just A wild goose chase to some better sound, but It's a try.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I wouldn't think so. You could make a 2x15 cab and just use that alone with your head. Unless you need to have another cab.

3. Anything is possible... but you'll have to buy different or more speakers to do it. Here's a link to speaker wiring diagrams: Wiring Diagrams

Good Luck!

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Two 8Ohm speakers wired parallel -> 4Ohms total
    Two 8Ohm speakers wired in series -> 16Ohms total
    No other options.

Matthias

5. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    um couldnt u wire them in series to get a 16ohm load? cause then wouldnt it work with the other cab becasue it would und up being a 4 with the othe cab no?

6. i heard of people thats would take 8 ohms cabs and turn them in to 4 and 16 to 8 by adding some thing to make it less

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    maybe I'll just make a single 15. I just hate to see these speakers not in use, man these things handle anything. Even when my drummer trys to sing through them!

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    What does more/less Ohmage do?

9. 8 to for would be lees and 8 to 16 be more.my freind he has 2 8 ohm 15 in his car wired so there 8 not 16.he said he put some thing between the speakers and the jacks.

10. If you find 4ohm 15's then it is possible

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Eminence do at least one model of 15" driver that's rated at 4ohms so it should be possible...

Try their website.

12. OsQ

OsQ

Jun 13, 2002
    here
    i was wondering, i have some old areosmith style PA cabs, with jbl 15's in them. I like the sound, but one problem. There about 30 inches wide, about 3 and 1/2 feet tall, and weigh about 90 pounds. Needless to say, there not very portable.

yep, that's where the secret of good cab construction is hidden... if u'll put those 15"ers to little yet portable cab u'd kill the tone(low freqs). good tone is sum of so many little things and drivers are just drivers - it's very important that the actual box where drivers are installed is build according to the specs of drivers IOW it has to be right sized...

13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    man, these cabs are great, but there just terrible to lug around. Even with casters, and theres also the fact that they won't fit through a standard doorway, but only double doors:eek:
    Ill show u the pics:[​IMG]