is it possible ??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 8, 2004.

1. Equipment-

Tascam Portastudio 424 mk II

SAE 2500 Power amp

bassicly i want to try to rig up a half assed PA system to use for vocals because we are all on a tight budget, and i just happen to have them lying around.

so anyway? is it possible ?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Technically it should work. It's a desk going into a Poweramp. Hook it up to PA speakers and you're done.

My only warning is that recording gear isn't usually designed for the rigours of gigging. Heck even some live mixing consoles struggle. Be gentle and it should be OK.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe get some of that industrial strenght velcro at a hardware store and slap it on top of the power amp to keep it from getting knocked over?
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I was using a similar set up years ago. We didn't use it live just for practice.
  5. thanks for the input, now since im a dummy with all this stuff, what exactly do i need to hook up the power amp to the tascam... its an old power amp..
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is always hard without having the equipment in front of you, because I have to assume a lot of stuff. Plustthere are many ways to set up a PA. But I'll have a go, and I'll try to keep it basic.

One you've got everything going through the mixer, you need a cable that goes from the mixer's output section, to the power amps input section. From my quick google search it seems the output of the desk uses RCA connectors (use the Monitor Output). I have no idea what sort of input connectors are on the amp, but I'll guess and say it it 1/4" jack. So you'll need a lead with the RCA's at one end, and 1/4" jack(?) at the other. The easiest way to do this is to buy an RCA lead, plus 2 RCA to Jack converters, something like THIS.

Assuming the power amp is stereo (2 channels), it should have one input per channel. I'd be pluging one of those 1/4"(?) jacks into each input. So effectively, the left signal from the desk gets fed into one channel of the amp, and the right signal gets fed into the other channel.

Connect some PA speakers to the amp's output section, and you're done.

If any of my assumptions have been incorrect, let me know and I'll fix it up.
  7. actually you were pretty much dead on, works pretty well ( minus some bad feedback at times )... but pretty good thanks guys.

8. Get a 15 band graphic EQ and you can ring out most of that feed back by EQing. They are on Ebay daily and worth the few bucks to EQ your vocals!

9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. And I'll even bet that 2k and 4k are the main culprits. Every room is different, and even moving around the stage changes it, but 2 and 4 k are pretty common feedback frequencies.