Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris3142, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Okay, i've only been playin for 8 months, but i'm takin many lessons and i cant stand to put down my bass... Problem: I dont have a ton of money to go buy a new bass. And i dont want to trade in or comprimise... ya know? I have a MIM Fender P-bass... okay, not the best, but I like it, and thats what matters. Okay, i'm thinkin about new pickups for it.. keepin it under like 3-400 dollars. okay, i'm thinkin basslines, MM pickups, like adding it not replacing originals. i have no problem with putting a battery cavity in the back of my bass.. its a MIM P-bass, not like i cherish it or anything. okay but i'm thinkin about going above and beyond just the MM pickup. Would it be possible to either put a jazz neck pickup, jazz bridge pickup, piezo or all onto the bass?? And would it make sense to do this? or do some of the pickups get the same sound? like my dream bass right now would be to put a MM, J-bridge, J-neck, Piezo, and keep the P pickups, but it wouldnt fit (or i dont think it would), like space wise, and i figure that it isnt really practical or smart cuz some of them probably can get me about the same tones.. someone help, is this possible? and is it cool or is it stupid? and are all or any of these pickups worth it on my MIM fender P-bass? thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris

2. I wouldn't want that many pickups, but that's me. I did slaughter a bass that had a P pickup only, and put in a Fender humbucker. Total hack job, but sounds unlike anything on this planet, and is totally righteous. I was 16 and didn't own a router, but I had a jig saw. :D Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Add your new plethora of pickups 1 at a time and play with each addition for a while. You may stop early and be stoked. Then might I suggest you buy a MIM Jazz, and upgrade the pickups to Dimarzio DP123's. I love mine.

Like a bass-playing Lucky the Leprechaun, I go throughout the land, extolling the virtues of the upgraded cheap bass, specifically that of the Kingdom Mexican, phylum Fender, class Jazz.:D

Rock on,

Chris

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    If you're wanting an additional pickup, rather than a different P pickup, why not think about trading your MIM P for one of the MIM Deluxe P Specials? They're only about $150 more than the std MIM P and they have the Jazz bridge pickup installed, as well as a Jazz neck. Nice inexpensive bass.

4. hey are they flys or spiders, i always get a kick out of your bass, love it

5. All of the above. I'm always looking for a reason to post pics of the beast.
    [​IMG]

Chris

6. nope, not trading it in.. its my first bass... i'll never let it go.

chris

7. I would just get some EMG P-pups:they are only about 90 bucks. I got a set for my fernandes p-bass copy...it's night and day man. They are clear and bright enough to where you don't have add any more pickups to the mix. They are so bright I even roll off the tone knob a little bit. You can do it yourself easy...you won't have to do any soldering or cut any holes. I used to have a MIM p-bass that I set up like Steve Harris' of Iron Maiden...I wish I still had that bass.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I was going to say that you could buy a heck of a lot of cool pickups for $400. I helped our sound man drop some Bassline Quarter-Pounders into his P-Bass for $46, $95 list. It made a hellacious difference.

OK, now throbbinut. I love the look of your bass so much, I must do this to my Lakland. Help me out. Do you use real spiders? Do you glue 'em on with epoxy, super glue, or what? Do you think this would look as good with scorpions or centipedes? Please get back to me on this.

9. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    He don't need no steeenking glue...

They're trained to stay there!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego